Hypnosis

C J

Nov 29, 2017
Does anyone know where I could learn stage hypnosis? Not hypnotherapy just things you could do for a stage performance.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you're starting from nothing, I'd advise you read Anthony Jacquin's Reality is Plastic (RiP). Optionally, also watch The Trilby Connection. Work with what's in that book until you're comfortable with it all.

You could, in theory, do a show at that point, if you're creative enough to apply those concepts to a larger stage.

Most stage hypnotists will recommend Ormond McGill's Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis. It's a valuable resource, but I do think there are better sources out now. That book was written from ideas generated from ideas that were popular in the 40s.

There's a Penguin Live lecture by Robert Temple that goes into detail about his show. His induction is cool but otherwise it's pretty standard material.

The problem with stage hypnosis is there's very little barrier to entry. Anyone could watch a YouTube video describing the process and get hired the next day. Which means there's a ton of poor information out there, and it takes a long time and study to learn to tell the difference. That low entry barrier also means there's a lot of folks out there that have been muddling their way through hypnosis for years, who think they are experts. Which is why there's a huge gap between beginner materials and advanced stuff pricing wise.

RiP is like $35. Ormond McGill's is anywhere from $30 to $60 I think. Proper personal training will generally run you a couple grand. There's very little in between.

So if you study RiP and get comfortable with that one-on-one focus of hypnosis for entertainment, and want to do stage hypnosis for real, I highly recommend saving for a while and taking a good course. I like Michael C Anthony and his Online Stage Hypnosis University. That's the course I plan to do when I get my current bills settled down.

Oh. And get insurance if you're going to do shows. Seriously. Performer's insurance could mean the difference between a career and being sued into the ground.

Sep 26, 2015
I'm still in the early learning stages of hypnosis. There is one hypnotist who uploads his podcasts to youtube. His name is Mike Mandel. He talks about some very interesting ideas. He doesn't teach the step by step hypnosis process in his podcasts, rather, he talks about why certain techniques work and what is happening to the mind during hypnosis. You might want to check him out.

Reactions: C J

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Mike Mandel is awesome. I personally think he understands hypnosis on a deeper level than almost anyone else alive currently. I studied his Online Hypnosis Academy for over a year (and still have a lifetime membership to show for it).

However, it's geared towards hypnotherapy and change work. He has one chapter devoted to entertainment hypnosis, and it is very good information, but since the OP mentioned he is strictly interested in entertainment hypnosis, I think Stage Hypnosis University is a better option. Also, Mike Mandel endorses SHU.

But yes, ZackF is right, if you want to understand more of the "mechanics" of hypnosis, listen to the Brain Software podcast.

Reactions: C J and ZackF
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results