I weighed and measured two different kinds of (best deck ever) crushed Bicycle decks from Penguin

Feb 24, 2021
I was curious how much of a difference "crushed stock" made, so I conducted a little science experiment.

I ordered some different decks of Bicycle cards from Penguin. They are promoting two different red/blue crushed stock decks as being the greatest bicycle cards ever. The descriptions are basically identical. They sound like the same decks except for the tear strip and seal. The "expert" comes with the tear strip and seal and costs $5.39. The "elite" comes with two gaff cards and costs $3.95 or 39.95 for a brick of 12.

I measured each deck in a bunch of different spots using standard cheap digital calipers. Each deck I measured was unhandled and was fresh out of the tuck for the first time when measured. The differences were actually pretty substantial. For each deck I used exactly 54 cards. I excluded any extra advertisement or gaff cards

Standard Walmart 808 deck with advertisement on the back of the tuck.

3.1 oz and 15.9-16.0 mm thick

Bicycle Guardians

3.1 oz and 15.8-15.9 mm thick

Bicycle 807 deck with picture of card on back of tuck instead of advertisement

3.1 oz and 15.7-15.8 mm thick

Bicycle "Elite" from Penguin

3.1 oz and 15.0 - 15.1 mm thick

Bicycle Expert from Penguin

3.1 oz and 14.6 - 14.7 mm thick

I also got Orange backed Bicycles and Silver Backed Bicycles from Penguin. The Orange deck has three gaff cards. Double backer, multicolor double backer, and blank facer. The Silver deck has two exotic gaff cards.

I also got some of the Bicycle Platinums, which I am not sure I like the artwork on the face of the cards that much. They do come with two gaff cards though. A double facer and a card with a picture of a rose.

All these decks from Penguin I got have the back of the deck printed on the back of the tuck, which is nice. Something that the Guardians do not have (which makes me sad).

As far as handle and feel, I would have to play with them for a long time. I will say that Bicycle Guardians have always felt thicker than regular Bike decks to me, but they always seemed to last substantially longer. I have also felt like I could fan a heavily worn Guardian deck far better than a heavily worn red/blue deck. Push off double-lifts always seemed easier with Guardians as well. So as far as handle and feel, Guardians have been my favorite. I'll have to practice moves with these two crushed stocks deck for a few night while watching tv and see what I think.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Cool that you would have the motivation to do a experiment like this. Magic Orthodoxy(David) does that sort of stuff with the caliper, he gives a lot of good insight into playing cards and great reviews on the latest magic supplies/books. Might want to check him out. Cheers.:)

Feb 24, 2021
Cool that you would have the motivation to do a experiment like this. Magic Orthodoxy(David) does that sort of stuff with the caliper, he gives a lot of good insight into playing cards and great reviews on the latest magic supplies/books. Might want to check him out. Cheers.:)

I honestly thought that the Bicycle Elite and Bicycle Expert would be the exact same decks, with the exact same gaff cards, and you were just paying extra to have the seal and tear strip in case you like to open sealed decks in front of the spectator.

I've seen Magic Orthodoxy on Youtube.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Feb 24, 2021
As an update to this, I really like the Bicycle Elite decks from Penguin. I would say that I can do better push off double lifts with them compared to standard Bicycle decks. I have not played with the even thinner "Expert" deck yet.

The Bicycle "Platinum" cards, however, are total trash in my opinion. Besides looking ugly, the have a very weird feel and a very strong smell. The only other cards I have with this feel and smell are Bicycle Age of Dragons. I am guess that a different kind of printing process is used and a different stock is used to accommodate a higher detail printing.

I will most likely use these two Bicycle Platinum decks to practice one handed card folds.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results