Improving The World: Canada

Improving the World... One Interaction At A Time.
A Performers Guide to Cultural Interactions
By William Draven

As an actor at a major motion picture studio, and theme park in Hollywood, as well as a magician I frequently get the opportunity to entertain for from all over the world. A year ago or so a document was released within our entertainment department that outlined different countries, and some good information you can use to create meaningful, lasting encounters with their people.

I immediately saw the advantage of this information for the magician community because what are we if not entertainers? We can use just about any tool at our disposal to help create that one magic moment with our audience that can make it even that much more memorable. So I got permission to share the information with you. Of course this project will take some time to post up, so I'll be updating this based upon two factors. The first being how well received, and appreciated it is from you the community, and the second how relevant the community feels this information is as applied to their lives. That is to say if not encouraged, I won't keep it up. Otherwise, I'll post new threads titled: "Improving The World: {country name}" that that specific file relates to.

Without any further delay, I bring you our next country: Canada

Continental Location: North America
Primary Language: English
Secondary Language: French
Prominent Cities: Ottawa [capital], Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg
Well Known Historical Sites: Hockey Hall of Fame (Toronto); Niagara Falls; Banff National Park; Calgary Stampede (World famous rodeo event); Old Quebec.
Currency: Canadian Dollar

Cultural Notes:
Prominent People/ Celebrities: Dan Aykroyd; Michael Cera (actor); Jim Carrey; Rush (rock band); Michael J. Fox; Wayne Gretzkey (hockey legend); Rick Moranis; Bryan Adams (musician); Nickelback (rock band); Nelly Furtado (singer); Brendan Fraser (actor known for his role in the “Mummy” franchise); Rachel McAdams (actress); Mike Myers (actor, “Shrek”, “Austin Powers”); Seth Rogan (actor); William Shatner; Anna Paquin (Oscar winning actress).
-Canada is the world’s second largest country by area behind Russia. Canada and the US have the longest border in the world. They have 10 provinces and 3 territories. The provinces are: Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, British Columbia, Newfoundland, & Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. The territories are: Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.
-Canadians informally call themselves Canucks.
-Canada remains in the Commonwealth of the United Kingdom, their Prime Minister is Stephen Harper. Their reigning monarch is Queen Elizabeth II (yes, the British Queen).
-Vancouver and Whistler, British Columbia hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics that was broadcasted on NBC. Montreal hosted the 1976 Summer Olympics. Calgary hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics.
-The national winter sport is Hockey; the teams vie for the Stanley Cup. The NHL teams located in Canada are the Montreal Canadians, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottowa Senators, Edmonton Oilers, and Calgary Flames. The national summer sport is Lacrosse.
-The province of Quebec (Kuh-BECK) is a remnant of the French Imperial presence in North America. The people of Quebec speak a French dialect called Quebecois (Kay-beck-WAH); this is also what they refer to themselves as.
-Holidays: Canada Day is July 1. They celebrate Thanksgiving on the 2nd Monday in October.
-The Canadian $1 coin is called a “Loonie” because of the bird depicted on it. Cleverly, they call their $2 the “toonie.”
-Canadian cuisine highlights: beer (namely Molson’s and Labatt’s) & maple syrup. Tim Horton (a former hockey star) owns a franchise of Donut shops that rivals Krispy Kreme & Dunkin’ Donuts. Mention “Tim Horton” and Canadians will immediately know that you are referring to donuts. Like Starbucks, their coffee is a national obsession. Order a ‘double double’ if you want your coffee sweet and creamy.
-The fictional SCTV heroes, Bob & Dog MacKenzie (played by Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas, respectively) had a TV show within their sketches was called The Great White North. They popularized the phrases “Eh!”, and “Take off, you hoser!” “Beauty, eh?”

What To Avoid:
-Talk of the secessionist movement in Quebec. Runaway filming.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results