Involving an Audience

Recently I've been lucky enough to have 2 jam sessions with a bunch of friends I've met in the flourishing community over the past 2/3 years and film a bunch of moves and have a good time. However, one thing that has happened more and more now is that people want to know what it is exactly we're doing. This means I've been performing a lot of flourishing/cardistry/XCM to laymen on the spot and trying to "crash course" them if you will in what exactly it is I'm doing.

But, it's mainly me standing there and talking for 4-5 minutes moving cards around in a blur and trying to impromptly fit together a whole lesson on our art form and still be entertaining yet have them listen to me and somewhat understand.

So, my question to all of you is...have you ever performed for a lay audience with just flourshing/cardistry/xcm (no magic involved) and how did you get them involved into an aspect of your performance. I've seen this talked about before, but stories happen all the time and I want to know any successes or failures you may have encountered.

-RA69

P.S. We filmed some pretty awesome stuff last weekend...so expect an insane video by the end of 2010...our editor is in school it'll take some time to handle all the HDness :)

Oct 13, 2008
I am more into magic than I'm into flourishing.
Like 80%magic, 20%flourishing or less.

But a couple of things I used to say to people when they asked me about the thing I was doing were like :

-It's great when you're sitting somewhere boring, and you just pop out the cards for some practice.
-It keeps your hands 'fit' and 'stretchy', the things you might need for magic moves/flourishing
-Magic practice can get boring after a long time, so it's great to change between flourishing/magic.

Maybe you could also note that there are people making a living of this, which I think is very special ;)

Jan 9, 2009
I usually try to teach them a swing cut, that usually works quite well, as you can then do a fast five cuts and close, and they understand how the complexity of the finished moves, stems from small simple movements.

If you want to have a laugh, try and get them to do the Virts Ninja Spring Grab :) That's rather interactive.

May 10, 2010
I get my classmates to try the spring grab all the time! It's really fun for both myself and my friends. :D

yea i agree with the last two posts
a lot of the time i just start springing cards when i get bored, when my friends see me they first try it themselves, and i just show em the basics for them to practice themselves, then i tell them about the spring grab and we have a few laughs trying to get it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results