Is video magic/online magic real magic? Do you guys consider it legit?

Mar 28, 2023
The use of technology in magic performances, such as video magic or online magic, is a matter of debate within the magic community. Some magicians argue that technology-enhanced tricks are not true magic because they rely on gadgets and software rather than traditional sleight of hand or misdirection techniques.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
The quick answer; it can be considered magic.…there is plenty of examples where it isn’t.

Slightly long answer.
Zack Scott’s videos for instance are generally not considered magic but instead clever editing. The video on the Reddit link was removed but I can guess it was the recent video making the rounds that is describing different kinds of magic, at first blush it has similarities to stuff Zack (Zach?) does but it’s much more subtle than Zack’s videos. The main differences between the videos lie part in intent, part in execution, and part in how it’s perceived by audiences.

If the audience suspects (when they shouldn’t) that it’s video editing it’s not likely good magic. Zach’s videos aren’t trying to hide that it’s video editing…in fact it seems to be the point.

There is a product on this site that blurs the line between magic and video technology…I’m sure people can find uses where it’s generally considered to be magic and uses where it’s generally not. With magic being subjective we will always have a few outliers.

My post is not meant to be comprehensive…I’m sure someone has put more thought into this than me!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Magicians have always been at the forefront of technology.

However, the issue with tricks based on video editing is that they are basically self-explanatory, and therefore it's very difficult to make them feel magical. They are fun, sure, but they don't produce that feeling of wonder or mystery because the audience goes into it already "knowing" it's just video editing.

Video will be part of the future of magic - there's no way around that. With the popularity of social media and how much of our lives are moving online, or into virtual spaces, it's a permanent part of our lives and magic will have to figure out a way to exist in those spaces at some point.

For me, though, there's no comparison to live magic. It's one thing to see something on a screen but to be there in person, and watch these things happen right in front of you - no video will compare to that.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For me, though, there's no comparison to live magic. It's one thing to see something on a screen but to be there in person, and watch these things happen right in front of you - no video will compare to that.

"OMG, I always thought that was just camera tricks!" - Gen Z Spectator.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
In person: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

On video: Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results