JULY: What will you be working on?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I know I asked in another thread about how your month of June went for cardistry. I'm going to keep tabs every month starting this month. The idea is that we can make a list of monthly goals (cardistry or otherwise) to challenge ourselves, see how much our plans change (if they do), or something else.

- Flicker -

The move I love to hate. I'm going to work on it a bit more. Oh sweet Jesus, it needs work. I want to get proficient with it. Expert level proficient. While that's not going to happen in a month; a months worth of practice will get me there.

- one-shot a 3 move routine -

I need to go back and practice 3 moves (that I neglected to do last month) , and become proficient enough to get them all to work in one shot of a video.
Problem is that one of them is a Flicker-type move, so getting that one to look nice is going to trip me up a bit.

- Rinzler -

I'm getting the Cardistry Con bundle; even though I can do only 3 moves in the bundle. It's not the most financially sound decision I've ever made. But I certainly need Rinzler (and Turbine) in my inventory. Goal here is to be proficient enough to do Rinzler. Doesn't have to be fast. Just proficient enough to do the move; speed and cleanliness can be for next month. And if anyone has any pointers for Rinzler, I'd love to hear it.

So. What are your goals for July?

May 24, 2015
While I have targets for the current flourishes I want to perfect and decisions I need to make for what else to focus on. I have one major goal for July.

I just bought a budget video camera. The focus for the month of July is to make the most out of the video camera to enhance my practice sessions. I'm going to record as much as possible my progress in Cardistry and post those videos up to my YouTube channel for a visual record of my progress.

Not only will this help me go to the next level in my Cardistry game but I hope it will help me get comfortable being in front of the camera and back into video editing. Start small with simple videos and gradually progress over time. Vision is that the viewer will get to see my progress within my Cardistry practice as well as my video editing skills. Plus I've always wanted to do something with my YouTube channel but never had a topic I could connect with. I do now.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I'm going to record as much as possible my progress in Cardistry and post those videos up to my YouTube channel for a visual record of my progress.

Not only will this help me go to the next level in my Cardistry game but I hope it will help me get comfortable being in front of the camera and back into video editing. Start small with simple videos and gradually progress over time. Vision is that the viewer will get to see my progress within my Cardistry practice as well as my video editing skills. Plus I've always wanted to do something with my YouTube channel but never had a topic I could connect with. I do now.
Recording is great for feedback! Hope you have fun with your cardistry channel. :)

Reactions: ChristopherR2
May 2, 2015
I agree with improving flicker. I can do it, but I could get a lot better at it in a month!

Apr 22, 2015
I am jumping right into Modern Coin Magic by J. B. Bobo. I have been only all about cards for almost 2 years now, but ever since starting coin magic and sleights, I really do enjoy it. Just stepping out of my comfort zone for bit, I hope it works!

Reactions: ChristopherR2
May 5, 2015
Keep working on that Flicker Brett! I hope you'll learn to love it ;)
As for me I'm getting some foundational stuff learned. This past month I finally got my mechanics hand to do a revolution cut and Jikh's bullet card twirl. This month I'm working on Kenner's 5 faces of sybil (which is pretty easy to me actually and I'm glad to have it) and (gasp) scissor and thumb cuts, which really hurt my hands now. Good luck to everyone busting their knuckles this month.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Keep working on that Flicker Brett! I hope you'll learn to love it ;)
As for me I'm getting some foundational stuff learned. This past month I finally got my mechanics hand to do a revolution cut and Jikh's bullet card twirl. This month I'm working on Kenner's 5 faces of sybil (which is pretty easy to me actually and I'm glad to have it) and (gasp) scissor and thumb cuts, which really hurt my hands now. Good luck to everyone busting their knuckles this month.

I'm liking Flicker now, actually :D
Only because I starting messing around with how I want an expanded 'final product' to look like (basically, Zachary Muellers 'one-card twirl' and a 'Flicker 1.5'). Flicker by itself just feels...incomplete, and that's what frustrated me about it a bit. Now it just looks like a polishing act. I'm more excited about it now that I have a 'game plan'.

Thumb Cut. I find this cut completely frustrating. I only discovered it because of the tutorial for 'French Manicure' a few months ago. Thumb Cut is a massive thumb stretcher which is something you'll use later on. But what I don't like about it is that there's not a lot of cuts that start with or end in a Thumb Cut. Not the most 'combo-friendly' thing out there. It's basically a 'learn this skill, but forget the cut.'

I want to hear about your foray with the Thumb Cut when you get to it!

Reactions: MichaelS11287
Apr 22, 2015
I'm liking Flicker now, actually :D
Only because I starting messing around with how I want an expanded 'final product' to look like (basically, Zachary Muellers 'one-card twirl' and a 'Flicker 1.5'). Flicker by itself just feels...incomplete, and that's what frustrated me about it a bit. Now it just looks like a polishing act. I'm more excited about it now that I have a 'game plan'.

Thumb Cut. I find this cut completely frustrating. I only discovered it because of the tutorial for 'French Manicure' a few months ago. Thumb Cut is a massive thumb stretcher which is something you'll use later on. But what I don't like about it is that there's not a lot of cuts that start with or end in a Thumb Cut. Not the most 'combo-friendly' thing out there. It's basically a 'learn this skill, but forget the cut.'

I want to hear about your foray with the Thumb Cut when you get to it!

Are you aware of the thumb cut that Andrei Jikh uses. It is also taught in Genesis v1. Your thumb can virtually be any length.

May 5, 2015
Are you aware of the thumb cut that Andrei Jikh uses. It is also taught in Genesis v1. Your thumb can virtually be any length.

Gonna put a second on JPillard's recommendation. I took Genesis v1 for granted back when it came out, but now that I am taking cardistry more seriously it has a place of honor on my bookshelf. Thumb cut, scissor cut, and more are taught with the problem of hand size in mind from the get-go. He addresses how to do them in such clear detail.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I agree! Flicker Shot does look amazing. I can't fit it into the video I'm working on, but I MIGHT in my next one. So I'll be able to pick up the tutorial for it, and this sounds bad, next year.

I'm just up to my ears in practice until I can get this video done.

How is it though? Is it hard to perform? Is it easy to pick up?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
This month I'm working on Kenner's 5 faces of sybil (which is pretty easy to me actually and I'm glad to have it) and (gasp) scissor and thumb cuts, which really hurt my hands now. Good luck to everyone busting their knuckles this month.

Truth be told, I DID NOT know how to do a Scissor Cut until earlier in the week when I started to work 'Rinzler'. Its a thumb stretcher all right, and it's a bit tough to make it look nice

May 5, 2015
Truth be told, I DID NOT know how to do a Scissor Cut until earlier in the week when I started to work 'Rinzler'. Its a thumb stretcher all right, and it's a bit tough to make it look nice

I'll have to check into Rinzler, I've seen about it elsewhere. Honestly I find it difficult sometimes to see what's current in cardistry. I check back at the forums when I can and I dabble around in the wire, but it's hard to keep up in my opinion. Maybe that's a topic for a new thread.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I'll have to check into Rinzler, I've seen about it elsewhere. Honestly I find it difficult sometimes to see what's current in cardistry. I check back at the forums when I can and I dabble around in the wire, but it's hard to keep up in my opinion. Maybe that's a topic for a new thread.

Rinzler is on the cardistry-con tutorial bundle. I honestly didn't know there was such a thing until last month. I knew there was a cardistry-con happening in a location that I wasn't living in, and that's it.

Rinzler is a neat one-handed flourish. It LOOKS hard. It's more impossible looking than it is a technically difficult flourish. I'd rank it with the same difficulty as Muse Cut--but Rinzler needs about 10 times more elbow grease to make it look neat.

I specifically got the bundle for that and Andrei Jihk's 'Turbine'. I will say though, it took me 37 re-watches to 'get it'. It's not explained very well and the two guys are laughing for nearly the entire tutorial. So you're left to just hoping you can 'get it' by sight.
So if you, or anyone else for the matter, get the bundle and are having problems with Rinzler; shoot me a PM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results