Lying for prestige?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Well i recently bought Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic and i gotta say its the best books i've ever bought. I've just gotten past the part about Prestige, and i was wondering, is it ok to lie if it gets you some prestige?

Like is it ok to say like you've been tutored by say, Lance Burton, when really you haven't? I just want to know your opinions.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Depends on who you lie to. Friends and family know better but if you are doing a paid gig or strangers. Then they have no clue, just make the lie some what reasonable.

Aug 18, 2008
This is a very tricky subject. I think you are using a bad example. As magicians we do lie, but saying you were taught by someone is wrong. Come up with some excuses that aren't unethical.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
This is a very tricky subject. I think you are using a bad example. As magicians we do lie, but saying you were taught by someone is wrong. Come up with some excuses that aren't unethical.

I wouldn't call it unethical. The clients or strangers don't know you and really you're not going to say "I Learned this from a magic DVD." because it sounds silly and doesn't sound that entertaining, and I highly doubt anybody is going to try to check up on stories you tell.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't call it unethical. The clients or strangers don't know you and really you're not going to say "I Learned this from a magic DVD." because it sounds silly and doesn't sound that entertaining, and I highly doubt anybody is going to try to check up on stories you tell.

This is true.

But if magic professionals teach the dvds...
I was personally taught by some of the biggest names in the industry?

This could also go for books...Dai Vernon taught me this technique...Just forget to mention he taught it in a book to anyone willing to buy it. ;)

It's stretching the truth. And some people might go that far...

I will say that if you're not a quality performance it will hurt other magicians reputation if you name them as sources for teaching you.

-Rik

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
If you think it will enhance your performance and make it more enjoyable and engaging to watch and be involved in, personally I think you have creative licence to stretch the truth as foolzsight mentioned above. :)

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results