Magical Applications of the Strike Second Deal

Oct 5, 2012
So I have been working on the Strike Second Deal from Jason England's very fine Foundations DVDs, and it is clear to get anywhere near deceptive with this sleight will require a tremendous amount of time and effort. While I am excited about that prospect, I also like to have a sense of the end goal in mind. Erdnase seems to argue that second deals have limited application outside of using "readers", and you can really only retain one card. Outside of using it as a force in the same way as the glide (ie. running off cards from the top of the deck and instructing the spectator to tell you to stop), I was wondering if people had interesting ideas as to how to apply the move in a magic performance.

Nov 27, 2009
Could possibly be used to set a key card. It's a random idea that I literally just thought of, but it might work.

Jul 8, 2012
well, if you want some effects using the second deal, there's a section in "Effective Card Magic"
(or "Card Magic for Amateurs and Professionals", it depends, but same book) that describes the second deal then gives some effects using it. There's one I like that gives the impression of being able to do a center deal.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
The second deal has TONS of different applications in magic. As with anything, your limit is only your imagination. For an idea that has me really excited, shoot me a PM.

Sep 5, 2012
natefitz.wix.com
I'm pretty sure Dai Vernon used a second deal for maintaining the card at the top while he put the second card into the centre as a simulation of the first card. Might be wrong though. Of course, with AC, the second deal possibilities are endless- keep dealing through the deck and everywhere you look it's the same card!
You could also use it as a key card, or a force. What I always do is I use it to reverse a double lift, but that's just me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results