Minority: Ace Effect

Aug 31, 2007
If you want a good review, I would suggest that you film in better quality and lighting, as I could barely see the cards at some points in the video. I'm also not a big fan of the cuts in the trick. However, from what I saw, the effect isn't bad and is a good base to improve from. I would suggest making it less repetitive, a little faster, and polishing up your kicker at the end, 'cause it looked like you just flipped the aces over. Overall, good work and keep it up.

Adrian

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
sorry if you read the ending credits it says why there are cuts in the middle of the effect. and yeah i realize that the film is very dark. I'll make another video once I have some more time.

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
if you need misdirection instead of the editing, then why not spend some time and ask a friend and tape you of a live performance you do?

The effect is good though; you might want to think of enhancing the phases?
Afterall, even the classic "twisting the aces" have more variations and surprise for the twists. To repeat the effect for 4 times, you need to think of some nice presenting ideas.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Yeah Thanks guys for all the comments. This is a basic version of it, and its still a work in progress. Also, a live performance wouldn't help because it's impossible to misdirect a viewer of a video. They can just rewind and figure it out. But that being said, this effect is still developing and I'm working on twisting the move a bit so that it doesn't need any misdirection.
dM

Oct 17, 2007
SG
Disclaimer: I am not an expert, simply an amateur magician who loves cards. My opinions are most definitely debatable, and I would love to be proven wrong so I can learn as well. My only qualification is that I have been toying with the same effect for quite some time.

That said...

I didn't like the video. Couldn't see anything. I actually had to force myself to watch the whole thing since I wanted to give some feedback that's actually useful and constructive.

The twisting aces plot is one of the most difficult card effects to present. The challenge lies in communicating the trick clearly and making the audience 'care' about the cards turning over. Your version fails here because too many flourishes convolute what should be a simple direct effect. The lighting and the editing don't help much either.

I advise you to learn some similar routines. Dai Vernon's original version is a classic because the handling is so clean. The Lee Asher version "Asher Twist" is also a classic because the reveals are done in a rapid fire machine gun way, and is beautiful to watch.

Remember to take note of the presentation as well. This effect is counted as mastered only when the presentation is mastered.

Thanks for your time.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Disclaimer: I am not an expert, simply an amateur magician who loves cards. My opinions are most definitely debatable, and I would love to be proven wrong so I can learn as well. My only qualification is that I have been toying with the same effect for quite some time.

That said...

I didn't like the video. Couldn't see anything. I actually had to force myself to watch the whole thing since I wanted to give some feedback that's actually useful and constructive.

The twisting aces plot is one of the most difficult card effects to present. The challenge lies in communicating the trick clearly and making the audience 'care' about the cards turning over. Your version fails here because too many flourishes convolute what should be a simple direct effect. The lighting and the editing don't help much either.

I advise you to learn some similar routines. Dai Vernon's original version is a classic because the handling is so clean. The Lee Asher version "Asher Twist" is also a classic because the reveals are done in a rapid fire machine gun way, and is beautiful to watch.

Remember to take note of the presentation as well. This effect is counted as mastered only when the presentation is mastered.

Thanks for your time.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the input, but you just revived a thread that was meant to stay deep down in the pits of non-reading..... yeah.... but i appreciate your input.

//David.Misner::

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results