Mirror VS. Spectator

Jul 3, 2013
Who would you say has more experience in a given day?

A person who practices an effect for an hour in a mirror, or a person who shows the same 3 minute effect once to a spectator?

I would say practicing hour after hour in a mirror still translates into no experience. Real experience comes from the interactions from spectators. Showing an effect once to a real life spectator is so much more valuable than hours by yourself with a mirror. What do you guys think?

Apr 17, 2013
I would say the person who spent months working making it his own to fit his style and then worked it on test groups before putting into his act is better for the work. You need to know the effect the patter and how it fits you and your act before you show it to someone. Learning something today and showing it tomorrow is not a good thing. You need a balance of the two.

I do not practice in front of just a mirror. I have my practice area set up with mirrors and a camera. I work on effects standing and sitting. I also practice in different lighting.

If you are going to be a worker or at least a great amateur you need a mix of practice and real world. But you have to make sure it is ready to be seen. The person who rushes out to show a new effect is just as bad as the person who never shows it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This isn't really a 'vs' thing. It's a process. First you practice in front of the mirror, then you perform in front of the audience, make adjustments as needed, repeat. Over and over until you've 'perfected' the trick.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Continuing with Christopher's line of thought, they aren't really comparable. They develop different skill sets. Mirror practice is how you refine your actual technique and develop your moves, while live performance tests those hours of practice while also helping you learn about spectator interaction and showmanship.

I have a large folding hard plastic TV tray from Walmart with a large Professional Close-Up Mat (BURGUNDY - 16x23) by Ronjo with nice wood base and trim around 3/4. fits on tray perfectly. tray works sitting or standing comfortably. I went to a Dollar Tree store (everything in the store is $1 or less) and bought 3 square mirrors and set them up like a fitting room mirror (using duct tape). Set them on the mat and my angles are all covered except directly behind. This works both sitting and standing. Great way to start a routine but... I agree that real people in real situations are the best way to get it down pat.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results