My girlfriend HATES card tricks...

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
alright..

I'm giving in..

Here is a good idea if you guys have been dating for nearly a year..

Do greed, But instead of a coin for the finisher, change the 20 into a ring.

That should make her appreciate Magic =P

That really made me smile, really good idea, but I think it has to be even more than a year, unless it's just a ring for a gift and not a wedding ring, but still that might give her the wrong idea.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Yeah.

You could also produce a box of earings.
If you haven't been dating for as long.

THe thought is there.

a simple silk production would be good for that.

I live with her, leave for work when she does and come home when she does so there's no way to only play with my cards when she's not around. When we eat together and watch TV I don't (usually) play with my cards. Plus we have our own rooms so all my cards are in there. I noticed it fustrating her so I went cold turkey for a while and after a week she said "you haven't done a card trick in a while." Which I didn't know how to take, so I showed her one and it was fine, she liked it. Then about 4 days later I said "hey can I show you something quickly?" with the deck of cards in hand. If looks could kill I died a thousand deaths. Now I don't go near her with cards anymore.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I live with her, leave for work when she does and come home when she does so there's no way to only play with my cards when she's not around. When we eat together and watch TV I don't (usually) play with my cards. Plus we have our own rooms so all my cards are in there. I noticed it fustrating her so I went cold turkey for a while and after a week she said "you haven't done a card trick in a while." Which I didn't know how to take, so I showed her one and it was fine, she liked it. Then about 4 days later I said "hey can I show you something quickly?" with the deck of cards in hand. If looks could kill I died a thousand deaths. Now I don't go near her with cards anymore.

Oh my goodness i just Fell down laughing when i saw that.

Hee hee.
I totally know what look that is too.

I would say find a girl who supports you and your interests/hobbies. If she doesn't want to let you open up and show her things you are interested in then you are gonna have a long hard road my friend.

A friends dad told me many years ago. You don't fight to keep a gf, you fight to keep a marriage. Remember that.

I guess I'm lucky since my gf likes it although like others have mentioned shes my toughest critic. However, try taking her in the bedroom and tell her you are gonna make something disappear. Voila. Magic happens.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
So don't perform for her anymore... problem solved. :rolleyes:

I remember Katie saying that Chris had never done a trick FOR her, and look how much they care for each other. You don't need to do magic for her to make her like you.

So don't perform for her anymore... problem solved. :rolleyes:

I remember Katie saying that Chris had never done a trick FOR her, and look how much they care for each other. You don't need to do magic for her to make her like you.
As long as she is not too negative, and does not support you.

When I told my (Now ex) girlfriend that I will be going to the Edinborough Fringe next year, she was very negative and nonsupporting.

You dont want that :)

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Well...

You are just going to have to give in and not approach her with a deck of cards. If she doesn't like it, there is no use in trying to change her mind.

The only way you MIGHT get a little appreciation out of her is if you take her to a show that you are NOT performing in. Something that she is not used to. Something that might actually amaze her.

Yes, Chris and I always have a deck of cards/some coins/rubber bands/dice/some other magic related things in our hands, but we NEVER do tricks for one another. We have other interests like Movies, Dancing, Sushi, Shopping, Driving, being crazy etc... in common that allows us to be happy without magic tricks.

You can take her to the movies with a deck of cards in your hand, just keep them to yourself during the previews and put them away when the movie starts.

Thats my 2 cents, good luck... I'm pretty good when it comes to girls and magic.

Katie

Feb 5, 2008
London
Problem is if you show a trick like over and over again. You kind of know what is coming and its a little boring. (Sorry JP if you read this - love you really). You can only be amazed first time, amused a second by the third you kind of want to get on with your own flourishes/shopping/thing...

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC

You say she cringes when you approach her with your cards, thats no reason to go cold turkey and not touch cards period. Sounds like she is just sick of constantly seeing magic. If somebody showed you a magic trick every other day (some of those being the exact same thing), you'd want to go insane too. Just tone it down a bit, but that doesn't mean stop practicing, just stop showing her tricks.

It probably also has a lot to do with predictability. When you are predictably showing her magic all the time, you are constantly turning her off. But when you were unpredictable and hadn't touched the cards for some reason, it got her attention, notice that?

Just stop showing her tricks, except for maybe a really special trick once a month or something.

-Cyrus

Sep 1, 2007
Minnesota
My gf used to hate card tricks, but then I showed her that I can twist my arm 360 degrees (you know, that David Blaine trick? Why can't I remember the name?) Now whenever she moans about me having cards out, I threaten to twist my arm around! :) Needless to say, she has a renewed appreciation for cards.

Nov 29, 2007
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Yeah I here ya! My gf happened to have gotten me into magic, we first started learning the cheaper way, by going online and finding tricks for free, the last one we learnt together was the ambitious card routine, then she dropped out... because she got bored of it... I kept on going, and still am... but she absolutely hates it when I pick up my deck, show someone a trick infront of her, show her a trick(only with cards btw)... but when I do a coin trick, or a disapearance act, or sometimes the odd flourish... she goes exstatic... It's just that she knows the material, and kind of lost the love for the art and work that goes into the material though... I understand, so it doesn't bother me as much as it should...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results