My thoughts on Theory11, My collection of cards so far, & my idea/suggestion for a "future deck" (I hope someone at Theory11 sees this)

Dec 8, 2022
To everyone here ... (and hopefully to whom it may concern at Theory11 as I dont know where else to post this)

My name is Jonathan, and I just recently discovered your website/company for the first time this holiday season. I'm big on decks of cards, somewhat casual when it comes to card tricks, and I'm also a MASSIVE card player, especially with Poker ... I love playing Poker. Recently for the holidays, my mother, sister, and brother-in-law surprised me for Christmas by getting me 8 decks of cards from your site ... each a "pop-culture" deck, of something I thoroughly enjoy
- "Light" and "Dark" side Star Wars deck ...
- Harry Potter: Slytherin (my sister remembered what house I would be put in after I took the Pottermore quiz, so she got me this deck)
- James Bond
- The Avengers
- Spider-Man
- Lord of the Rings
- The Dark Knight Trilogy.
(I'm currently showcasing each deck of cards on my Instagram page ... check it out if you all would like to (stop_gumbytime)

I absolutely love Theory11's work, and the amount of exquisite detail you put on your cards, is honestly some of the best I have ever seen in my life. I think "Theory11" will now officially be my go-to site to gets decks of cards. I can't not believe I did not discover this company sooner than I did, as I was shocked to learn you guys have been up and running for more than a decade. I'm certain glad I found you guys when I did.

All that being said, and since your cards are so great I want to see you guys in business for as long as possible ... I don't know if you guys take suggestions from your customers or not ... so whether you do or not, I want to propose a future idea for a deck of cards about another "pop-culture" phenomenon that I enjoy, and if you make this, I want to be the first one to buy it. I'm proposing for a future product (again, I hope someone "high-ranking" at Theory11 sees this) ... a "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" deck of cards, and to get the ball rolling ... here is my suggestion on who and what should be presented on the deck (or at least how I would do it). This I think would be a great tribute to the entire POTC film series. Take this any way you like, as everything below is just a suggestion:

A of Spades - The "Dead Man's Chest"
K of Spades - Capt. Davy Jones
Q of Spades - Tia Dalma
J of Spades - HALF Lord Cutler Beckett ... HALF James Norrington

A of Diamonds - Poseidon's Trident
K of Diamonds - Capt. Barbossa
Q of Diamonds - Carina Smyth
J of Diamonds - Capt. Salazar

A of Clubs - The "Fountain of Youth"
K of Clubs - Capt. Blackbeard
Q of Clubs - Angelica
J of Clubs - Joshamee Gibbs

A of Hearts - A piece of "Aztec Gold"
K of Hearts - Capt. Jack Sparrow
Q of Hearts - Elizabeth Swan
J of Hearts - Will Turner

Joker - Pintel ... OR ... Jack the Monkey
Joker - Ragetti ... OR ... Cullen's Parrot

I hope this suggestion reaches you guys, and I hope you all take this suggestion seriously, or at least get some ideas from it. Once again, I love your cards and your products, and I look forward to seeing whatever you have planned for release in the future. Thank you very much to taking the time to read this, and keep up the great work.

Jonathan G.

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
First of all, welcome!

Something like this deck is in the realm of possibility, given that theory11 has been trending towards producing more licensed decks in recent years. Your ideas for the courts/aces/jokers are pretty spot on.

I do think that there are probably a few reasons why we won’t see it for at least a few years.

1. theory11 just released the Piracy deck which, in my opinion, fits the theme of a POTC deck perfectly despite not having the characters. Piracy is a beautiful, creative, and luxurious deck. I’m not sure they would risk creating another deck that would bite into preexisting sales until Piracy runs most of its full course. A POTC deck would of course appeal to certain clientele that Piracy does not, so I guess it would depend on how differentiated theory11 feels the target audiences are. Personally (admittedly without any data) I would think the overlap is substantial enough for hesitation.

2. The legacy POTC is still unclear. POTC wasn’t as unequivocal smash-hit. After the first movie or two, the franchise started to peter out (despite sizable box office sails). Johnny Depps performance is iconic, but given the controversies surrounding him, it remains to be seen whether the movies will remain a cult classic. If we look at the decks that theory11 produces, all of them have great staying power in pop culture (Dark Knight, LOTR, Beatles, Elvis, Grateful Dead, Harry Potter, etc.) or are being contemporaneously released (MCU decks, NYSM 2).

3. Relatedly, a future POTC deck will probably depend on whether a sixth movie is made. That would be a strategic time to release as people will probably be rewatching the original five, and thus would be most inclined to purchase a deck. Seeing as there are inklings that a reboot is in the works, I would guess theory11 would hold off until at least the year the movie is expected to show, which is realistically no sooner than 2026 at this point.

Reactions: ssSlayerWolf
Dec 8, 2022
First of all, welcome!

Something like this deck is in the realm of possibility, given that theory11 has been trending towards producing more licensed decks in recent years. Your ideas for the courts/aces/jokers are pretty spot on.

I do think that there are probably a few reasons why we won’t see it for at least a few years.

1. theory11 just released the Piracy deck which, in my opinion, fits the theme of a POTC deck perfectly despite not having the characters. Piracy is a beautiful, creative, and luxurious deck. I’m not sure they would risk creating another deck that would bite into preexisting sales until Piracy runs most of its full course. A POTC deck would of course appeal to certain clientele that Piracy does not, so I guess it would depend on how differentiated theory11 feels the target audiences are. Personally (admittedly without any data) I would think the overlap is substantial enough for hesitation.

2. The legacy POTC is still unclear. POTC wasn’t as unequivocal smash-hit. After the first movie or two, the franchise started to peter out (despite sizable box office sails). Johnny Depps performance is iconic, but given the controversies surrounding him, it remains to be seen whether the movies will remain a cult classic. If we look at the decks that theory11 produces, all of them have great staying power in pop culture (Dark Knight, LOTR, Beatles, Elvis, Grateful Dead, Harry Potter, etc.) or are being contemporaneously released (MCU decks, NYSM 2).

3. Relatedly, a future POTC deck will probably depend on whether a sixth movie is made. That would be a strategic time to release as people will probably be rewatching the original five, and thus would be most inclined to purchase a deck. Seeing as there are inklings that a reboot is in the works, I would guess theory11 would hold off until at least the year the movie is expected to show, which is realistically no sooner than 2026 at this point.

Hey there. Thanks for the response ... I'm glad you like my idea, and if it ever comes to fruition, it would be great. But I understand where you're coming from in regards to the marketing, licensing, and all that. Also, just recently ... I did buy the Piracy deck as well ... the 9th deck I bought from theory11, and youre right. Its another GORGEOUS exquisite deck!

Reactions: Eliyahu
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results