New to magic, new to the forum.

Nov 10, 2018
Hi all,

I’ve recently set myself on a path and mission to learn magic having been obsessed from a young age.

Starting from the bottom I’ve learnt some beginner slight of hand tricks to some basic coin and random item tricks although I want to stick to card magic, cardistry etc.

I’m looking at getting some good books to dive into, so any that you guys would find beneficial would be great. I’ve a few decks of bicycle cards but if there are also any decks you feel you prefer let me know :)

Thanks!

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Sammy!

Welcome to the forums.

Many great books exist that can get you running fairly quickly with the basics at least.

I would start with Royal Road to Card Magic followed by Card College.

Royal Road is a crash course and will give you the tools to get started with a deck of cards and Card College is a more detailed in depth course of all the tools needed to perform with cards. Both are fantastic reads and highly recommended.

If you’re after effects one couldn’t look past the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. Covers a broad range of both self working and more detailed effects that you could comfortably fill an entire show with.

For coins, Modern Coin Magic would be the best start.

As for the cards, bicycles are both affordable and great quality for learning. The advantages in other decks will be minor when beginning and certainly cost more.

Let us know if you need a hand or advice!

B.

Nov 10, 2018
Hey Sammy!

Welcome to the forums.

Many great books exist that can get you running fairly quickly with the basics at least.

I would start with Royal Road to Card Magic followed by Card College.

Royal Road is a crash course and will give you the tools to get started with a deck of cards and Card College is a more detailed in depth course of all the tools needed to perform with cards. Both are fantastic reads and highly recommended.

If you’re after effects one couldn’t look past the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. Covers a broad range of both self working and more detailed effects that you could comfortably fill an entire show with.

For coins, Modern Coin Magic would be the best start.

As for the cards, bicycles are both affordable and great quality for learning. The advantages in other decks will be minor when beginning and certainly cost more.

Let us know if you need a hand or advice!

B.
Really appreciate the detailed reply thanks! Going to check those out first :)

Have you ever read ‘Bertram On Slight Of Hand’ book? It’s fairly pricey but looks like it’s got some good info too.

Thanks,

Sammy

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome. My recommendation for a starting point is Card College. I think it better explains the sleights and has Bette handling than Royal Road, Expert Card Technique and Expert at the Card Table. The only benefit for the latter three books is the price.

Sammy,
Welcome to theory11 my friend, as well as all the above experienced professional magicians said about the books I totally agree. My first book was the royal road to card magic as well as a lot of people. But let me assure you if you're serious about learning magic and want to learn as much as possible the people here at the theory 11 will give you Priceless information and yet so generous to give it out, once they see somebody with a heart towards learning magic. I honestly credit Theory 11 and the moderators here and all the experienced & amateur magicians here that give me advice to my growth so far in my amateur magician career. Anyway just want to walk in you and I hope you learn as much as I do !!

Nov 10, 2018
Sammy,
Welcome to theory11 my friend, as well as all the above experienced professional magicians said about the books I totally agree. My first book was the royal road to card magic as well as a lot of people. But let me assure you if you're serious about learning magic and want to learn as much as possible the people here at the theory 11 will give you Priceless information and yet so generous to give it out, once they see somebody with a heart towards learning magic. I honestly credit Theory 11 and the moderators here and all the experienced & amateur magicians here that give me advice to my growth so far in my amateur magician career. Anyway just want to walk in you and I hope you learn as much as I do !!
Means a lot being new and having support from a forum full of magicians new to experienced. Many places can feel that you’re not wanted. Definitely looking to progress as far as I can.

Royal road is in the post currently! Looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. Are there any UK magicians in here?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Welcome to the forums!

Not much I can do as far as suggestions as the major beginner books have been covered.

If you ever want a book that is sort of a one-stop-shop for beginners that covers numerous mediums : Mark Wilson’s Complete Course in Magic.

As for cardistry, I have a couple tutorials (shameless plug). Marketplace has a bunch. There are some tutorials in the shop that are really old, but are really neat (like “Backpack”).

We have a lot of great people and great minds here. Any questions, ask away!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results