Palming, to what extent?

Nov 29, 2008
I was curious, after seeing the new 1-on-1, and after practicing some basic palming for a little while now, how many different palms do you know? And, honestly, how many different palms do you need? I feel as though, the 3 palms taught in the new video are almost all you need, but I know that all these different palms wouldn't have been created if only two were actually needed. So, please, answer my two questions above. I would just like to get everyone's input.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
I know:

Top palm
Erdnase bottom palm
Diagonal palm shift (i guess that fits)
Cop
Backpalm
Tenkai

However i only usually use:
top palm
tenkai
gambler's cop

I think you only really need a few good ones that would fit in different situations.

I use the classic palm somewhat frequently, and a gamblers cop almost every time I perform. Of course the back palm is practically THE most in card manipulation, so I use that quite a lot as well.

I play with tenkai all the time, but have almost never used it in working, just doesn't fit me personally.

I also know a bottom palm but have never actually used it, oddly enough.

C

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I know a few... As I mentioned to you in PM, for the most part, yeah, the three palms taught are all you'll need, they're probably among the most versatile. Nonetheless there are variations on everything, which leads to different palms. Sometimes this is due to personal preference - Bert Allerton had his own Allerton top palm, not unlike Berg's Palm but using a thumb count type thing (a la Domico Double for those who own Card Control). Different things feel different for different people, obviously. As I also said - circumstance is important, again like the Judson Cole one hand top palm I mentioned to you.

I know more than I use, and if I were to use something odd, I'd go back to my books to go back over them first.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I use the one handed top palm and gamblers cop, but it's good to know moves that put you into palm such as the discrete displacement, the cascade control, the one hand convincing control so that you can palm the cards under natural actions.

Dec 14, 2007
The problem comes when people think of a "palm" as a way to hide a card. It is not.

"Palming" is the process of removing, holding, and then returning a card to a pack. As Erdnase said, it is very easy to place a card into the hand in a position from whence it cannot be seen. It is another matter to get it there undetectably. (I have paraphrased.)

So the question becomes not "how many palms do you need" but "If I need to move, steal, or conceal a card - from where am I likely going to take to take it, and to where am I going to need to put it."

Now, all you have to do is choose the "palms" that will get you from point A to point B in a manner which appears completely natural and does not deviate from your regular handling style. Always choose the simplest path; remembering "simple" is not synonymous with "easy."

That's how many "palms" you need.

Brad Henderson

Nov 29, 2008
The problem comes when people think of a "palm" as a way to hide a card. It is not.

"Palming" is the process of removing, holding, and then returning a card to a pack. As Erdnase said, it is very easy to place a card into the hand in a position from whence it cannot be seen. It is another matter to get it there undetectably. (I have paraphrased.)

So the question becomes not "how many palms do you need" but "If I need to move, steal, or conceal a card - from where am I likely going to take to take it, and to where am I going to need to put it."

Now, all you have to do is choose the "palms" that will get you from point A to point B in a manner which appears completely natural and does not deviate from your regular handling style. Always choose the simplest path; remembering "simple" is not synonymous with "easy."

That's how many "palms" you need.

Brad Henderson

Although i understand the concept of palming, i appreciate your clarification of the matter. I think that "simple" means "effective" so i believe those three palms, even if i use those three are all i need.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results