Portal!

Feb 8, 2008
Hey all,

Here's my rendition of Portal by the dear fellows Dan and Dave. I try to add in some good patter to my tricks, so it's not just a flat performance of technique. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;nChdboHRefo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nChdboHRefo[/video]

Dec 12, 2012
I don't quite see how the patter fits with the trick...

It was just like you were having a conversation and then were like, oh and by the way here's a trick. Which isn't really patter in the sense that I understand it.

Having said that though, your trick was excellently done, just maybe try to weave your patter into the trick somehow... Maybe by using a blank card with 'Lulz' written on it or something, I dunno. I just didn't see how the opening chat was anything related to the trick.

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but I also believe that patter has been historically been viewed in a pretty narrow way. If the point of magic is to entertain, then the subsequent responsibility of the magician is to entertain - a directive he can handle in any way as long as his objective of entertainment is achieved.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm the most entertaining person, but since the human mind is an appreciator of contrast, I tried to contrast the trick with something irrelevant, and hopefully funny. Consider it an experiment in human psychology.

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but I also believe that patter has been historically been viewed in a pretty narrow way. If the point of magic is to entertain, then the subsequent responsibility of the magician is to entertain - a directive he can handle in any way as long as his objective of entertainment is achieved.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm the most entertaining person, but since the human mind is an appreciator of contrast, I tried to contrast the trick with something irrelevant, and hopefully funny. Consider it an experiment in human psychology.

Ah I see, but I wonder what reaction were trying to get from the contrast?

My personal reaction was one of slight bewilderment. Maybe it has something to do with the transition between the patter and the trick? If you could make some kind of joke about the irrelevance of what you just said to the trick you are about to do, it might be less bewildering. That's just my opinion, and I really enjoyed the trick itself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results