Revealing...

Jan 11, 2008
france
I had an experience today which really angered me. I would go on a rant about exactly what i experienced and my opinion on 12 yr old inexperienced kids revealing magic tricks online, but this is not what this thread is about since iam certain that most magicians are perfectly aware of what is going on with websites such as youtube.

I want to find out what WE can do altogether. Can these videos be banned? if so how? what can we do to stop all of this?

I have seen many discussions on this but I am tired of talking, lets react and do something about this, I am aware that we can probably never stop this completely but if we can at least reduce the amount its happening then lets do that.

ANY ideas are welcome, and iam hoping we have a solution by the end of this thread and that together we can make a difference.

Sep 1, 2007
austria
i've said this in another thread about this topic already, but here's what i found out:

you need a youtube account, you need to login of course and then you can do one of two things (or both):

1) send the user who has some inappropriate magic material online (exposure, tutorial, really bad performance so it can be figured out easily) a message and ask him to remove the video(s). does actually work alot of times from my experience, or

2) flag the video. it's not nice, but from my experience it works. if you watch a video you can see a button that says "flag" right underneath it, just click it and when it says choose the reason for flagging just pick something. i don't know if that still works since there were some changes made at youtube since the last time i did that, but as far as i know it should still work.

anyway, i know it sounds like alot of work messaging every user or flagging ecery single video, but here's where we need alot of people to help: if a couple of us do that occasionally, we won't achieve alot, but come on, everyone's surfing around on youtube to kill time every now and then, so it shouldn't be too hard to spend a couple of minutes to send a message or flag a video.

Sep 30, 2007
Magic Movement

I know this sounds a little off the wall but I wouldn't mind signing a petition or joining a "movement" to inform youtube and persuade them to stop and ban tutorials that expose magic for the improvement of the magic community.

The part that sucks about this, is that I get paid to perform. My spectators can go on youtube.com for the easy stuff like cigarette vanishes, and learn what I did. And it's a crap tutorial 9 times out of 10. Also I would love to start selling my original effects but am not sure if it would be in my favor because 3 days after the release it will be exposed on youtube. How is a 21 year old magician suppose to support himself with only magic with all this internet mumbo jumbo. I was also watching the masked magician reveal some stuff on fox reality the other day, my parents were watching it as well, and kept saying, see how much this guy is making for exposing, and i said yes and an immoral man making more money that me, how classy. I hate this subject anything we can do, lets get it going. I'm in this for the love of magic.

Oct 24, 2007
I agree that revealing tricks to the public is wrong and stupid and that these videos need to be banned. But, there are several things you can do and not do. (I'm going to post the same things Hawk7 said, with some modifications)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1.) Send the user who has some inappropriate magic material online (exposure, tutorial, really bad performance so it can be figured out easily) a message and ask him/her to remove the video(s). This does actually work a lot of times.

2.) Flag the video. This does keep some users from seeing it, but there is a problem. Flag is only for one thing, flagging if the video is inappropriate. This will make the video unattainable by all youtube members under the age of 18. Also, this brings the video to the attention of youtube.

3.) You can send in a message to youtube that a copyright is being violated, but they will take a long time to remove it and to go over it. So the video being removed will probably take a couple months.

4.) Alert the company that owns the trick where the copyright is being violated. (If 1. doesn't work, and 2. isn't good enough, this is your best bet) Give the company the address of the video and tell them which trick is being exposed. The company will then alert youtube and the video will be taken down immediately, because it's a company, so it's more important.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Those are the only things I can think of and have heard of regarding having a youtube video removed. Peace!

Tyler

P.S. @ Sourboarder:
Even though the masked magician did the show for money, it did help the magic world and really didn't hurt it. I mean, no one remembers what he exposed. I don't! I've watched the show before. It helped magic move forward, made magicians stop hanging on to the older stuff so that newer things were created! Just my two cents.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
As long as it's not taken directly from the video, and it's just a kid teaching... there's nothing you can do. Petitions have been signed over and over again, and they have failed over and over again. There will be more and more, and they will all fail. The truth is, unless it's copyrighted, YouTube doesn't care. They're not going to take down videos that bring people into their site.

And I've said this before, but I don't care anymore. It's not personally hurting me at all. Meaning I have never had anyone call me out during a performance, saying, "I saw how you did that on YouTube!" Just my two cents...

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Also I would love to start selling my original effects but am not sure if it would be in my favor because 3 days after the release it will be exposed on youtube.

Here is the solution for that. Don't make a website and sell your effects. Don't go to a magic website, submit your effect, and have them help you sell it. Instead what you do is keep it truly underground (I hate that word...). Find your local magic club. Perform and join. The people who actually go to the magic meetings are not going to be little kids trying to learn how something is done just to be able to teach it and be cool. It will be magicians who are in it for the art. At least from my experience. Perform your effect for some of them, see how they like it. If they do, ask if they would mind paying a small amount to support you, and teach it to them. They will respect your time put into these effects, and not go around willy nilly revealing them. Also, if you feel you have enough material, offer to do a small lecture at your local magic shop, or in your magic ring.

Just some thoughts.

-ThrallMind

Jan 11, 2008
france
As long as it's not taken directly from the video, and it's just a kid teaching... there's nothing you can do. Petitions have been signed over and over again, and they have failed over and over again. There will be more and more, and they will all fail. The truth is, unless it's copyrighted, YouTube doesn't care. They're not going to take down videos that bring people into their site.

And I've said this before, but I don't care anymore. It's not personally hurting me at all. Meaning I have never had anyone call me out during a performance, saying, "I saw how you did that on YouTube!" Just my two cents...

True it will always happen, but we can always do something to reduce the amount its happening. maybe it might not hurt you personally but it does hurt the art of magic, imagine someone decides to get into magic, his only source is youtube, he learns from the effect badly therefore peforms it badly, making a mockery of magic. These videos greatly disrespect the art of magic and i feel that alone is reason enough to do what is in our power to get rid of them

I can assure you this youtube problem is going to get worse and worse, and eventually it will affect all of us personaly, you got lucky that nobody ever called you out, to be honest today was the first time it ever happened to me but it got me very fustrated. Its only a matter of time before you get a heckler in your audience who decides to say something.

1.) Send the user who has some inappropriate magic material online (exposure, tutorial, really bad performance so it can be figured out easily) a message and ask him/her to remove the video(s). This does actually work a lot of times.

2.) Flag the video. This does keep some users from seeing it, but there is a problem. Flag is only for one thing, flagging if the video is inappropriate. This will make the video unattainable by all youtube members under the age of 18. Also, this brings the video to the attention of youtube.

3.) You can send in a message to youtube that a copyright is being violated, but they will take a long time to remove it and to go over it. So the video being removed will probably take a couple months.

4.) Alert the company that owns the trick where the copyright is being violated. (If 1. doesn't work, and 2. isn't good enough, this is your best bet) Give the company the address of the video and tell them which trick is being exposed. The company will then alert youtube and the video will be taken down immediately, because it's a company, so it's more important.

above is described what we can do, I want everybody to know this, and i want to know who is interested in helping, if each of us do this to only 2 videos a day, we will eventually get rid of if not most the videos at least alot. If people are serious about this please let us start ASAP

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I'm not too worried about it. If a magician gets into the art the wrong, that's their fault, not mine. Shouldn't concern me.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I think that the best thing is to do, is not to stop the youtubers, but to stop your specs from even thinking that magic and internet are related.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm just holding onto all my original material and waiting till the magic craze ceases to exist, then I may market some of my better effects just to move some things forward.

How are you supposed to make a living? Do street performances, pass out business cards (need cheap ones? pm me) and market yourself, as far as I'm concerned you don't have to market anything to make bank

~Beans

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
If your magic is spoiled by people browsing YouTube, you're not doing it right.

YouTube doesn't threaten real magicians. Only hacks and wannabes. If you're threatened by YouTube, either get over it, or admit you're just a hack.

I blew a guy's mind last Thursday with four basic sleights that any idiot can learn in twenty minutes, because the trick was invented on the spot. Don't learn tricks. Learn your foundation. Use the foundation to create effects on the fly, and nobody can look them up on YouTube. Ever. He can search for a year, he'll never find it.

Audiences have a long memory. If they've seen it before, they won't freak out. They won't even really care. So do things they've never seen - even on YouTube.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
If your magic is spoiled by people browsing YouTube, you're not doing it right.

YouTube doesn't threaten real magicians. Only hacks and wannabes. If you're threatened by YouTube, either get over it, or admit you're just a hack.

I blew a guy's mind last Thursday with four basic sleights that any idiot can learn in twenty minutes, because the trick was invented on the spot. Don't learn tricks. Learn your foundation. Use the foundation to create effects on the fly, and nobody can look them up on YouTube. Ever. He can search for a year, he'll never find it.

Audiences have a long memory. If they've seen it before, they won't freak out. They won't even really care. So do things they've never seen - even on YouTube.

You made up a trick on the spot? Wow (in both ironic and amazed ways).

BTW your real first name is Carl, isn't it?

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
You made up a trick on the spot?

Don't be too impressed. I asked him to hold out one hand and concentrate on his card... then rubbed the deck across his palm and left only his card on it.

You should immediately see at least two ways to accomplish this effect, and at least three ways to get the selected card where you need it for either of them... with or without a force.

BTW your real first name is Carl, isn't it?

Nope. Caliban.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results