Routine Opener, Impromptu or not??

Jun 29, 2017
I like learning new tricks and reading magic books but all the books or almost all the books i bought didn’t give me a really powerfull routine opener that i found great for me i used the Chicago opener for a long time and I still use it but i was looking for a opener that didn’t require any prep work, an impromptu card trick opener. Or if you know a trick that need prep work but is amazing its also fine, i like to know all the openers that you guys uses.

And what do you guys think is better the tricks that need prep work or not. I know that the tricks that needs prep work are the ones that get more attention and reaction but is it worth the time and the money ??

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Essentially, any trick can be an opener. It's all how you present it. Pick a trick that you like to perform, and build a presentation to start your routine. Use that patter to go through the trick, and have it flow into the next one, and have that one flow into the next trick, and so on. That is essentially how you form a routine. Go through and find any trick that you really like and use it.

What books have you read so far?

Any trick can get you a great reaction if you present it right. If the trick needs prep and you are ok with doing the prep, then go ahead and do it. To a laymen, it doesn't matter if the trick used a gimmick, or had prep, or if it was 100% sleight of hand.

Reactions: i3llyy
Jun 29, 2017
I thought of that any trick could be an opener but i think that the opener needs to be something powerfull and can make people interested in what im doing.

I dont really remember all the books i have read but i have read all the classics and searching for new books to read.

Reactions: HectorE1
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I thought of that any trick could be an opener but i think that the opener needs to be something powerfull and can make people interested in what im doing.

I dont really remember all the books i have read but i have read all the classics and searching for new books to read.
Any trick can be powerful based on presentation

Go through the Royal Road or Bobo and pick a few powerful tricks and pick one to start working with.

Reactions: i3llyy
Jun 29, 2017
Any trick can be powerful based on presentation

Go through the Royal Road or Bobo and pick a few powerful tricks and pick one to start working with.
Thanks i will definitely check these book, I thought that a powerfull trick is needed because i have never preformed to someone that really focused on the presentation maybe my presentation sucks but can you give a tip or anything that will help me.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Thanks i will definitely check these book, I thought that a powerfull trick is needed because i have never preformed to someone that really focused on the presentation maybe my presentation sucks but can you give a tip or anything that will help me.
Don't make it about the trick, make a story that engages the audience. The effect is kind of like a metaphor for the story and vice versa.

Jul 28, 2015
I like learning new tricks and reading magic books but all the books or almost all the books i bought didn’t give me a really powerfull routine opener that i found great for me i used the Chicago opener for a long time and I still use it but i was looking for a opener that didn’t require any prep work, an impromptu card trick opener. Or if you know a trick that need prep work but is amazing its also fine, i like to know all the openers that you guys uses.

And what do you guys think is better the tricks that need prep work or not. I know that the tricks that needs prep work are the ones that get more attention and reaction but is it worth the time and the money ??
I like to do the 8 card brain wave, simple, strong opener you carry in your wallet...

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Jul 26, 2016
Must the opener be a card trick? In my opinion, it's hard to beat the sponge balls. Many laymen have seen weak card tricks that have been poorly performed or done in a mediocre fashion. Their experience could have been with their grandfather, an uncle, a friend or even a professional magician. As a result, a lot of laymen have a negative view of card tricks and are not very receptive to them - particularly as the first trick they are approached with. They also frequently suspect "trick cards" even if that is not the case. As a result, I have found that people are much more receptive to a card trick(s) after I have done something strong, not involving cards. The sponge balls are super strong, and a lot of fun, and as the saying goes there is no second chance to make a good first impression. And you don't need a table. Others may feel differently; this is just what my own experiences and analysis have taught me.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Must the opener be a card trick? In my opinion, it's hard to beat the sponge balls. Many laymen have seen weak card tricks that have been poorly performed or done in a mediocre fashion. Their experience could have been with their grandfather, an uncle, a friend or even a professional magician. As a result, a lot of laymen have a negative view of card tricks and are not very receptive to them - particularly as the first trick they are approached with. They also frequently suspect "trick cards" even if that is not the case. As a result, I have found that people are much more receptive to a card trick(s) after I have done something strong, not involving cards. The sponge balls are super strong, and a lot of fun, and as the saying goes there is no second chance to make a good first impression. And you don't need a table. Others may feel differently; this is just what my own experiences and analysis have taught me.
I agree. Sponge balls are a great way to go. I prefer doing a ring routine to open and use patter to find justify a way to bring out a deck of cards later on in my next routine.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sponge balls can be good. You just have to be able to follow that up with something at least that good.

Now that I'm thinking about it, and dusting off some memories here, I believe I used to open my busking set with sponge balls. They're good to use for an opener, not only because they generate a big reaction every time, but you can sort of "idle" by making them vanish and reappear and transport back and forth a few times, to build a crowd.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results