Selection cards still?

Hello T11 members and maybe some guests. I have a question or all card magicians. Why do we still have cards picked from the deck? Besides the reasons for bonding or connecting. I mean to me I'd rather take out a random card myself. We need to stay in control at all times right? any thoughts? I think the creative juices would be flowing much more fluidly if we always had control of every card.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
I don't think that's a good idea (at least not for me) ... I try to make the spectators involved as much as possible in my card effects. You are trying to entertain them, and selecting one card for them, seems somewhat fishy. I'm also not a big fan of tricks like Tiv0 2.0, its fun to perform but i don't perform it for others, because it's more of a trick that says "look what i can do with cards", there is no audience participation.

But that's just me .... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
What on Earth would make you think like that? Haha

Think about performance. You want your affects to be as believable as possible, so why risk losing trust by selecting a card for your spectators. As often as possible, I hand my deck out to be shuffled, and then I have them select a card. It's more fair, and it works in your favor.

Are you new to magic or something?

I am totally not new to magic, I was thinking that us as performers are looked down upon because of the selection process. Hell the reason I wanted to be a "magician" is to break boundaries over 7 years ago. And what I meant by selecting the card for them came over wrong. But the first step in most magicians quest is pick a card then i find it. The second is normally a type of poker deal. Where normally the cards aren't picked out by the spectator.

Sep 1, 2007
Selecting the card yourself completely eliminates the need for a participant. Yes, you stay in control more if you never even let them touch a card, but you also isolate your participants. To me, that would seem like the magician was trying to show off, even if that wasn't the case. Even if they select a card, you should still have control of the situation, through your words and direction. From what I've discovered, your magic will seem more "real" if they actually have a hand in it, even if it's something as simple as picking the card themselves.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
I usually do effects with one card. I cringe whenever I see a magician have someone select a card, they find it in an unusual manner, they they have another one selected, they find it, ect. After a while you're not a magician anymore, you're just a guy who does cute tricks and can find cards.

That's why I do one effect with a selected card, and break it up with some coin stuff or maybe an ace production. It's all about routining.

you can always switch up the effects.
like do a story telling trick.
then do a find a card, then do some kind of production like 4 way coincidence
then a tnr
there are many other card tricks that done involve picking a card then loosing it and finding it.
just be creative.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results