Shade

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Watched this movie for the first time today... and LOVED it.

The references, and cameos, and story really moved this movie to the top of my list.

I actually busted out laughing during the scene where they were at the Magic Castle and Jason England started doing the '21' trick to the girl... HILARIOUS.

Kudos to you Jason... Kudos..

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ah. I'll have to watch it again, I thought it was as Vernon and the Professor were walking away from the table.

Apr 15, 2010
Oh man, you guys are having such a good time talking about this movie, it's actually making me jealous. Can I get details on the movie? What year it was created?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
2003 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323939/

"Shade is set in the world of poker hustlers working the clubs and martini bars of Los Angeles. The tale unfolds as a group of hustlers encounter "The Dean" and pull off a successful sting that results in their pursuit by a vengeful gangster."

Though I've never seen the Cinncinati Kid, I've heard it's basically the same story.

Magicians are fond of it because it has a lot of references to the magic world. Most of the characters are named after close-up magicians (Vernon, Larry Jennings, The Professor, Charlie Miller, Max Malini, etc) and there's a bit in the Magic Castle. Jason England and R Paul Wilson were two major consultants on the film, and there's a really nice sequence at the beginning where England, Wilson, Damien Nieman and Earl Nelson doing some card work.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I got my dvd new in shrink wrap, with a hole punch through the UPC if memory serves, for a really good price online.

Not the greatest movie I have ever seen, but mixing everything ChristopherT pointed out with Gabriel Byrne was enough to make me curious.

Mar 25, 2009
This movie nearly killed me.I watched it with subtitles and there was sentece: We deal cards from bottom of the deck. And it was translated: We deal cards from bottom of the table.

Mar 27, 2010
England
www.youtube.com
2003 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323939/

"Shade is set in the world of poker hustlers working the clubs and martini bars of Los Angeles. The tale unfolds as a group of hustlers encounter "The Dean" and pull off a successful sting that results in their pursuit by a vengeful gangster."

Though I've never seen the Cinncinati Kid, I've heard it's basically the same story.

Magicians are fond of it because it has a lot of references to the magic world. Most of the characters are named after close-up magicians (Vernon, Larry Jennings, The Professor, Charlie Miller, Max Malini, etc) and there's a bit in the Magic Castle. Jason England and R Paul Wilson were two major consultants on the film, and there's a really nice sequence at the beginning where England, Wilson, Damien Nieman and Earl Nelson doing some card work.

haha i watched this film a long long time ago before i was a magician so i had no clue about this but im gonna watch it again today and try to spot them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results