Side steal sound?

Nov 29, 2008
I always seem to have a clicking sound when i steal the card during my sidesteal. I have been trying to reduce it but the only way i can find is to slow the motion down, but the speed of it really can't be sacrificed. Is one supposed to talk over it to try and muffle it? In most cases misdirection can't really hide sound.

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
When I do a move such as the side steal, I usually will look at my spectator in the eyes or talk to them a little because they have no idea that you are doing a "move" They just think you are holding the pack, so my best advice is be natural and even if you hear the sound don't slow down or stop and assume that they did to. Of course work on it the best you can but in performance just act like nothing happened.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
You just need to really focus on what is actually causing the problem. This is the only way to prevent it. Usually putting pressure on the deck whilst side stealing can cause it, since as soon as the card is cleared you're going to get the clicking noise from friction. People also tend to move upward to replace the card to early, and the pulling up means that the corner of the card snaps against the upper portion of the deck. It's not hard to figure out what you're doing, a bit of analysis and you will find out

Nov 23, 2008
Sounds like you are moving your hands either up or down, in opposite directions. They need to stay on the same plane until the card clears the deck, otherwise there is going to be a rather large clicking sound.

Sep 1, 2007
Retype has it. You must remove the card in the same plane it was in when it was in the deck; furthermore, any tension you put in the card will cause it to want to bend as it leaves the deck, which will also result in the clicking noise.

Therefore you must concentrate on two aspects - making the card leave the deck LEVEL, and doing so with a light enough touch so that the card does not bend as it leaves the deck.

The side steal is WELL WORTH the time you need to perfect the angles, misdirection and correct technique - its a very, very useful control.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results