Sleight of Hand Artist

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Hey guys and girls =) hey some artists are considered sleight of hand artists.. then why? how can you be a sleight of hand artist? Are you a sleight of hand artist when you do more than 5 difficult sleights in a trick/routine? or how many sleights does it require to be a sleight of hand artists? for you what is sleight of hand? lets discuss this =P I wanna see your thoughts

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
To me s.o.h. is impromtu tricks using some sneaky moves using misdirection. I don't know if that makes sence, but thats what I think.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Hey guys and girls =) hey some artists are considered sleight of hand artists.. then why? how can you be a sleight of hand artist? Are you a sleight of hand artist when you do more than 5 difficult sleights in a trick/routine? or how many sleights does it require to be a sleight of hand artists? for you what is sleight of hand? lets discuss this =P I wanna see your thoughts

this brings "Quality is over Quantity" and what that means is not about how many sleights you include in your routine but how well you can do them , for example you can make someone believe you have great sleight of hand with just a doble lift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
how can you be a sleight of hand artist?

There is no actual test for whether you're a sleight of hand artist.

The only thing it means is that you're generally recognised as using a lot of sleight of hand and doing it well.

The way you become one is for other people to start saying it about you.

The way you get them to do that is by learning your sleights well and using them often.

It's not some sort of formal title. It's all about reputation in this business. You are what people say you are. The guys in my local magic club call me a "flinger", which Merlyn Shute reckons to be the top level of card manipulators. This is not even remotely true; I am only mediocre with cards on a good day. But because they say it, people behave as though it's true. The fact is, my local magic club is full of incompetent card manipulators.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I think that you could consider yourself a Sleight of Hand Artist when all of your material relies only on sleight of hand, nothing else.

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
You are a sleight of hand artist instead of a magician when you call yourself that and it is plausible that you use no gaffs when handling a deck of cards.

I have been reading through Daniel Madison's first lecture notes and through his patter he is constantly referring to himself as a sleight of hand artist instead of a magician. Its just a style thing and how you want to be viewed.

Do you want to be a magician and cause things to happen through "magic"? Or do you want to be a sleight of hand artist who promises to fool and does so? You don't have to stick with one, you you can "shift" who you are from performance to performance..."Hmmm, I want to be a magician today." or "Hmmm, I'm in the sleight of hand/gambling mood, lets be a sleight of hand artist today." Or you could switch mid-performance from an "SoHA" to magician and suddenly blow the audience away with something that "could not possibly be sleight of hand."

Its all your decision and your style, you just have to make sure that decision comes out in your patter.

-Cyrus

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results