Small Hands = Harder XCM?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
small hands harder XCM?

i know this issue has gone around some time now, but i havent catched it so here am i asking this:

Is having small hands an issue in performing xcm? does it make it harder? or easier? (which i doubt)?

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
It really depends on the move. I think it doesn't matter. My friend who got into xcm has tiny hands it just takes practice to develop your own way of getting things down. Then it really doesn't matter if your hands are tiny or not. Because you can do whatever you trying to do anywas. I just all depends on how much you practice it.

Sep 1, 2007
yeh, maybe, but nobody would really care if you're doing awesome looking stuff.

sort of like how some people eschew fanning powder, or ALWAYS flourish with all 52 cards, etc

it's like why make it hard on yourself. you can always learn the move with small cards and then maybe once he builds up some flexibility switch to full size.

Jan 31, 2008
yeh, maybe, but nobody would really care if you're doing awesome looking stuff.

sort of like how some people eschew fanning powder, or ALWAYS flourish with all 52 cards, etc

it's like why make it hard on yourself. you can always learn the move with small cards and then maybe once he builds up some flexibility switch to full size.

My decks have 53 cards....

Small hands should not hamper your XCM, if you have great flexibility you should be just as well off. BTW how do you know you have small hands? Is that just what you think ? If so, build up your hand's self esteem, and if you still think your hands are small, get implants so they can be XXX sized.

Sep 4, 2007
I guess my hands are medium-sized, going a little on small. But that isn't an excuse.

People ask, "Why not use bridge-sized cards? Why use poker cards, that make your life harder?" That is a fairly good question, but I think the answer for me is because I can. That's my point really. The reason why I take up flourishing is not simply to entertain myself and others; it's also to challenge myself.

It's hardly "challenging" myself if I use bridge-sized cards, when I can work with something that will ready me faster for performing the flourish. If you use bridge-sized cards, you're just handicapping yourself and growing reliant on it. Sure, you might say you'll grow out of it, after growing proficient at performing the flourish with bridge-sized cards. And I'm not going to dispute that, because it is true.

But for me, I'd like to remain consistent, and be able to perform all my flourishes with poker cards. Either I can do it with both poker-sized and bridge-sized cards, or I can't at all.

It really isn't a thing to debate about though. It's all about personal preference. No layman is going to point at you and say, "Har har har, you're doing it only with bridge cards, you suck!" I just think you'll be at somewhat of a loss if you're asked to show "that neat flourish my friend said you did last time" when you only have a deck of poker cards on you.

In conclusion, to each his own. Ultimately, I think we're all striving to be able to flourish with poker-sized cards, right? ;) Let's not allow such a trivial thing to divide our community. Flexibility really is the key, not hand size, and with time, that comes to everyone.

Oct 28, 2007
i have fairly small hands but i can stretch them like CRAZY! it is awsome.
so if you can stretch them properly it should not be a problem.
p.s. if my hands were like brian tudors but still be able to stretch them like i do i would be a GOD at flourishing :p! he has massive hands!

Jan 31, 2008
i have fairly small hands but i can stretch them like CRAZY! it is awsome.
so if you can stretch them properly it should not be a problem.
p.s. if my hands were like brian tudors but still be able to stretch them like i do i would be a GOD at flourishing :p! he has massive hands!

Quote from Jerry Cestkowski: Oh yeah, he can backpalm a medicine ball with no trouble at all....

Mar 5, 2008
good question..alot of people always asks me,is it alot easier to do the palmer with your hands so big?

to me its a NOT..because to me its always about the angle,finger and hand positioning which makes it alot easier.

well as for those who think smaller hands means harder XCM..i suggest you do the 3 things everyone hates the most..which i shall repeat once again

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE

For some moves, it small hands will be an issue (such as Thumb-Cuts for instance), but for the most part it is just a shield that people hide behind when something isn’t working out like they think it should. I myself have particularly smallish hands (I actually find Thumb-Cuts a challenge) but it has not stopped me nor discouraged me from practicing. Usually the whole “omgzlols.. my handz are tooo small lawlz” is just a method of postponing practice and being blatantly lazy (although that is not always the case).

In a nutshell: With enough effort, time and dedication, almost anything is possible in our Cardistry world. :)

Jordan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results