Straddle grip for bottom deal

May 23, 2010
what do you think about the straddle grip for bottom deal ??
who is the master in dealing in this way ?
Can I find some videos on the web ? if yes, where ??

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I don't like it at all. I seriously can't think of any person dealing like this in a real game. It looks really suspicious... just learn a real bottom dealing grip.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Why would you use straddle? It's completely unlike any 'normal' dealing position that anyone is likely to see or use, so it would be very suspiscious. It's also a very awkward grip with which to deal. I think the grip outlined in Expert Card Technique, or the one in Erdnase are the preferable ones.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
what do you think about the straddle grip for bottom deal ??
who is the master in dealing in this way ?
Can I find some videos on the web ? if yes, where ??

I'm not crazy about the straddle grip itself. You need somewhat large hands to hold the deck comfortably in this grip. In case you do have large hands, you should try it out and see how it feels. You should check out the Dr. Elliot bottom deal in the Revelations videos. It is also in print in Dai Vernon's Ultimate Card Secrets.

The bottom deal can be made to look natural, but it isn't an easier deal than the other versions (In my opinion). in a nutshell, if done well, it can be deceptive.

As for who is a master of dealing this way, I've seen a video of Steve Forte doing a second deal in straddle grip in GPS. He is an expert in all kinds of false deals, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did this one well too.

Apr 19, 2010
Cumbria, UK
Straddle grip for a bottom deal for me looks and feels out of place in my opinion, but thats just me and everybodys different. Dai Vernon once said that the greatest bottom deal he ever witnessed was one in straddle grip, i havent seen anybody actually use the straddle grip for a bottom deal so i havent really seen it in action. If your asking for the 'master' of this particular type of deal i do not actually know but look up 'Richard Turner' or 'Steve Forte' because these guys are absolute gods in the field of card table artifice.

Dec 18, 2009
I use the straddle for my bottoms; I find it very simple. I learned my straddle bottoms from Dai Vernon's Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic. It's a great book and I recommend it. The master is probably Dr Elliot but I don't think there are videos of him lol. There is a great youtube user with a video showing his straddle bottoms, and a way he came up with to disguise the straddle grip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7ds9bo_RU

Hope I helped,

Corbin

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Corbin, no offense, but I was not impressed with that video. Yes he's using a straddle grip, but there are other factors going on. It looks like he is smearing the cards to make a better take, which again doesn't look normal and arises suspicion.

Of course everyone has their own style and taste. Mine happens to be a deceptive bottom deal that looks exactly like my regular deal. Unless you ALWAYS use a straddle grip, and never change, then I guess it would fit for you.

Whatever grip you decide to use, never change it for your other deals.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results