Sweaty Palms

Nov 19, 2007
MD
Yes, sweaty palms. Something we've all had to deal with... But something I'm forced to deal with a little more. Believe it or not, sweaty palms run in my genes. My parents had sweaty palms, and so I'm stuck with them. No matter how confident, nervous, whatever I am, my hands just enjoy sweating. It can be -30 degrees and they will sweat.

So, I learned to deal with them... But lately, just lately, I noticed a problem. Whenever I handle cards for a while and leave them in mechanics grip for too long, I notice that the bottom card starts to warp. Before I thought that maybe I was gripping it wrong, but no matter what I did, the bottom card would warp. It didn't really hit me until a few days ago. I was practicing my pro passes when suddenly, it just came to me; my sweaty palms were screwing with the cards!

And the thing is, it seems the sweat is getting deadlier by the minute. Where before the cards would warp over time, if I hold the deck for even 5-10 minutes now, the bottom card completely warps.

So, I figured I would try to remedy the sweating problem. In research, I learned that the only way to fix this was through surgery. Yep... Surgery. Needless to say, that won't be happening... So I come to you guys for assistance.

By any chance, do any of you guys know of any "sweat resistant," "non-warping," or some kind of card that is less prone to warping than regular, good ol' bicycles? I figured that since the stock of Guardians and all those E deck things are similar to bikes that it wouldn't make too much of a difference - am I wrong to assume this?

And yes, my palms are sweating as I type this. :(

Sep 1, 2007
California
Sorry to hear that dude.

This happens to me after I shower also:(

That is normal and only cards that won't warp are probably plastic ones.

Dec 28, 2007
There are plastic cards out there. Aparantly they are a lot harder to handle though.

It might be easier to change tack. You could do less card magic and do other types of magic like coin, rope, cup & ball, elastic bands etc. These forms of magic might not be affected so much

When you do card magic, look for ways to handle the deck less.

Hope this helps.
G

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
soap? i use that when i have sweaty palms on a humid day it helps for about an hour or so for me. i barely get sweaty palms

Nov 19, 2007
MD
Sorry to hear that dude.

This happens to me after I shower also:(

That is normal and only cards that won't warp are probably plastic ones.

I wished it only happened to me after a shower! :p

There are plastic cards out there. Aparantly they are a lot harder to handle though.

It might be easier to change tack. You could do less card magic and do other types of magic like coin, rope, cup & ball, elastic bands etc. These forms of magic might not be affected so much

When you do card magic, look for ways to handle the deck less.

Hope this helps.
G

Yeah, I've played around with some and they're impossible to handle. Usually when handling the deck I try to put it in Biddle Grip a lot to avoid bottom-warping but it just looks unnatural. Unfortunately, I really don't find coin / rope / etc to be as much fun as cards, and would rather not have to take such a drastic turn.

soap? i use that when i have sweaty palms on a humid day it helps for about an hour or so for me. i barely get sweaty palms

Trust me, I've tried that. It works for a few minutes and then the sweat comes pouring out.

EDIT: Do you guys find the custom decks to be less prone to warping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2007
One thing you might want to experiment with is some kind of anti perspirant on your hands. I used to use it when I played drums many years ago and it seemed to help some.

Hey spikormikor13. You and I have the exact same problem...only mine doesn't run in the family. (Maybe my parents are carriers, but they don't have it themselves?)

Anyway, the best thing for you to do is to wash your hands with cold water with some exfoliating hand soap (the kind with the beads) and it will stay dry much longer.

Also, trashmanf also suggested nitrile gloves. I never tried them however.

Hope this helps!

;D

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
You know what?

I remember before Ellusionist did it's revamp that they used to sell a spray formula that was used to help reduce sweating in the hands. I think it was called "Golden Touch" or something like that.

I know that it's not on that site anymore, but I'm sure that if you look around on the net you can find it. I comes in a small spray bottle if memory serves me right.

Good luck.

Shane K.

PS...

This might help also.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=95401&catid=151&brand=36541&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=151&trxp2=95401&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 6, 2007
Sweaty palms you say? haha I suffer from dry palms!! But I agree the bottom card does warp on the occasion that my hands get sweaty for whatever reason. But I don't see the need to hold the deck for 5-10 minutes anyhow... just place it on a table or something :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results