Talent Show

Jul 19, 2009
Hey Guys,

I have a talent show in December and was wondering what would be a good trick. I'm looking for something perfered with cards but general magic is fine. Just one trick, laymen help with be good as well. I thought of regeneration as it came out the other day but I know there are better tricks for this case. Any thoughts?
P.S. Been doing magic for 4 years so not scared of advanced tricks

Cheers,
Chris

Aug 2, 2011
California
How much time do you have?
How big is the audience?
How far away are they from a stage?
Do you have a mic?
Need more detail before we can help you. Thanks!

Jul 19, 2009
I have till the end of November and it is in a school auditorium with about 100-200 people. I have a regular mic and also a clip on mic in needed. I have about 10 minutes on the act so thats why I want just one trick. I also plan on doing a comedy/magic act like Piff or Justin Kredible

Jan 22, 2012
10 minutes should give you enough time to do more than one. For my talent show act I did Dresscode by Calen Morelli (KILLER), Jumbo Pip card and fraid knot by chris ballinger. That gave me about five minutes of performance time. Fraid Knot is a good one for comedy and needs a volunteer anyway. Regeneration is not a trick for 100-200 people unless there is like a big screen behind you showing what you are doing. Anyway if you want to see my talent show video it's on my youtube channel. Anyway I hope you do well in your talent show :)

Jul 19, 2009
Well I can have a big screen with a camerca for cards trick. And I do have small magic tricks through out the act like dresscode but I wanted one main trick.

Apr 29, 2012
At my talent show I did " The hundred dollar billet catch" a great trick that gets great reactions. And it is also hilarious. The effect is a spectator signs a bill, the magician puts it in the spectators hand. Walks all the way to the other side of the stage. Blow up a balloon, puts in his/ her mouth. The spectator " shoots" the bill. And it is gone fromtheir hand. The ballon pops and the bill is in the magicians mouth. It's basically aless deadly version of the bullet catch. But you wold need to routine this well with other tricks. Jus an idea.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
10 minutes should give you enough time to do more than one. For my talent show act I did Dresscode by Calen Morelli (KILLER), Jumbo Pip card and fraid knot by chris ballinger. That gave me about five minutes of performance time. Fraid Knot is a good one for comedy and needs a volunteer anyway. Regeneration is not a trick for 100-200 people unless there is like a big screen behind you showing what you are doing. Anyway if you want to see my talent show video it's on my youtube channel. Anyway I hope you do well in your talent show :)

I watched you presentation, but i think that you should put dresscode at the end, because there was multiple times when you flashed, you probably saw that yourself. Do you think that this isn't risky to put dresscode at the beginning for so long presentation?

May 9, 2012
New York
well, im a close up magician so i dont have too much stage experience. one year for a talent show i tried to do a russian roulette knife routine but apparently thats not appropriate for school. anyway, i saw a school performance where someone did smart ass by bill abbott. if you drag it out a little its pretty impressive.

Jan 22, 2012
I watched you presentation, but i think that you should put dresscode at the end, because there was multiple times when you flashed, you probably saw that yourself. Do you think that this isn't risky to put dresscode at the beginning for so long presentation?

I talked to people after the show and they were saying that it was really good and could not figure out the shirt change. After coming home and watching the footage did I realize that there was major flashes! Now looking back I thought it was really risky doing Dresscode first, but I thought that my green shirt was long enough it just happened to flip up. It was disappointing to realize that I flashed hard core but nobody noticed. I think it was because they were far away anyway and the camera was more focused on me that you could actually notice. Also although I put it first I thought it would be a better opener because it really hooked them to the performance. Now every time I'm at school or just wearing the shirt I hear in the background "Hey look it's that kid who did that awesome shirt change!" So I mean it was a bad idea, but it made me more memorable.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
There's an elephant in the room no one has noticed as of yet . . .

This is a CHRISTMAS TALENT SHOW and your closer should, at least when it comes to dramatic effect and blowing people away, you should consider something really big, like making Santa appear. There are several very easy and cheap ways by which to do this as your finale. . . if you have access to the right costumes you could even make this a bit more than the classic production. I can assure you, if you produce St. Nick as your finale, you'll get job offers.

If you want to be "Politically Correct" about things you could also do Topsy-Turvey Menorah or Floating Dreidel . . . use your imagination but think about the Magic of the Season; invoke that sense and the emotions that come with it. Granted, it's a big psychological cheat in that your strumming heart strings and thus, stacking the odds to your favor when it comes to the competition, but the greater truth is, a program of this particular feel reveals far more creativity than walking out and doing a couple of card tricks . . . if you want to do "card" tricks, why not use holiday greeting cards?

You have the time to pull all of these things together and do a good job with it IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Think about it.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
There's an elephant in the room no one has noticed as of yet . . .

This is a CHRISTMAS TALENT SHOW and your closer should, at least when it comes to dramatic effect and blowing people away, you should consider something really big, like making Santa appear. There are several very easy and cheap ways by which to do this as your finale. . . if you have access to the right costumes you could even make this a bit more than the classic production. I can assure you, if you produce St. Nick as your finale, you'll get job offers.

If you want to be "Politically Correct" about things you could also do Topsy-Turvey Menorah or Floating Dreidel . . . use your imagination but think about the Magic of the Season; invoke that sense and the emotions that come with it. Granted, it's a big psychological cheat in that your strumming heart strings and thus, stacking the odds to your favor when it comes to the competition, but the greater truth is, a program of this particular feel reveals far more creativity than walking out and doing a couple of card tricks . . . if you want to do "card" tricks, why not use holiday greeting cards?

You have the time to pull all of these things together and do a good job with it IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Think about it.

Or even tell the story of the Christmas orange and do the card to orange. If you have a huge audience this may not be the best but in my experience it plays bigger than you'd think.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results