Thailand : Any cardists?

Jan 21, 2017
I've actually got a brick of White Lions Series B in transit as we speak :D:D:D Ordered them almost simultaneously with the SS16s. I hope I won't get prosecuted as a multiple offender...

I've been living in Thailand for a while and have come to accept some of the Thai's quirks (superstition, bureaucracy, etc.). I know it's illegal to import or own sex toys, e-cigarettes, discredit the King, ... Ok, their country, their rules. I could therefore think of a lot of things that I would research prior to ordering. But playing cards? It really didn't cross my mind. Not for a second. Shouldn't it be illegal import dice? Mint coins? While in the mean time cock fighting is tolerated or even officially supported as part of ancient Thai tradition. (But of course, nobody would ever bet in those...)

I wouldn't talk so badly about Thai people in general. Yes, the ones dealing with thousands of asshole tourists every year tend to be more grumpy, but I don't blame them for that. I'm actually surprised that there isn't much more violent crime against foreigners.

But their government and legal system is incredibly out of date. They need to get their priorities straight.

Dice are also an issue.....

Priorities straight? Oh dear, now we're opening a can of worms.

But repealing this law is not going to happen soon. The Thai Excise Department actually manufactures the official playing cards in Bangkok and has the monopoly.

Mar 30, 2017
Cheers mate. I've seen concept decks like that which actually looked really beautiful. But I guess it won't hit mainstream because a) it reduces the functionality of the cards (I would count elaborate false cuts, riffles, flourishes, etc. a part of cardistry), and b) takes away a lot of artistic freedom for the designers. This is important for collectors (which I'm not). Kind of like telling toy collectors (which I'm also not) to just collect the sealed packaging without any content.

And I bet, sorry, suppose, that there is quite the chance that even those decks would be restricted because people could just write their own numbers and pips on the cards with a marker. :confused:

Mar 30, 2017
Dice are also an issue.....

Priorities straight? Oh dear, now we're opening a can of worms.

But repealing this law is not going to happen soon. The Thai Excise Department actually manufactures the official playing cards in Bangkok and has the monopoly.

Ahhhh lovely how this goes hand in hand. I didn't know that. But hey, at least their cards are USPCC quality...

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Reminder on our forum rules dealing with appropriate language. We have many young people in the forums, so we expect everyone to keep language clean.

From the official Forum Rules:

On VULGAR LANGUAGE:

We understand that times are changing, but please try to keep profanity down to an absolute minimum. Certainly no S-Bombs. Definitely no F-Bombs. Z-Bombs are fine (if you can figure out what they are).
Racial slurs are strictly prohibited. Unless you’re talking about Santipiwa Tribesman, Aiulanu Warriors, or native Chintillians, who no one likes.
Be nice, respectful, and professional. Or else I will crush you.

Cheers!

// L

Mar 30, 2017
Hi Lyle,

thanks, I usually watch my language but an A-bomb managed to sneak through. Sorry about that. ;)

- John

Sep 20, 2016
I am not sure if this would fix the problem, (plus you would need to import them) but New Deck Order, and Touch Cardistry both sell cardistry decks with no pips. Also, If you were to order planks, non cardists would have no idea that they even related to cards, so they likely wouldn't confiscate them. The downside to this is that they are quite expensive, and you can only practice packet cuts with them.

Mar 30, 2017
The matter is still in progress and the outcome remains uncertain. I'll write up the story once it's definitely resolved (one way or the other), but I promise it's gonna be fun ;)

Jan 21, 2017
The matter is still in progress and the outcome remains uncertain. I'll write up the story once it's definitely resolved (one way or the other), but I promise it's gonna be fun ;)

I am looking forward to the story....

Did the other brick slip through, or has it added to the issue?

Good luck.

Mar 30, 2017
Right, the White Lions... Thanks for reminding me of those, because the last time I've heard of them was March 16, when I got the shipping confirmation email.

Mar 30, 2017
Hi there!

thanks for the reminder, this time I really did forget to post the outcome... :rolleyes: So here's a rough timeline of the remainder of the story, relative to my original post (in days). All information is from an email thread with a really helpful (no sarcasm) FedEx agent unless otherwise mentioned.

+3 -- Based on my feedback, the shipment had been given to another customs officer.

+4 -- Shipment was "considered for release" and I got quoted an exact amount for taxes (around 3'000 Baht).

+7 -- Customs officers "changed their mind" and I needed an import license from the Department of Foreign Trade. 2 phone numbers were provided.

until +12 -- Various phone calls. At the first number provided by FedEx, nobody picked up. Ever. At the second one, they told me that this matter was not their competence, and referred me to the Excise Department. Those people said they weren't responsible either. I need to call... guess whom... the Department of Foreign Trade, yay!! So I called the DFT again, told them that apparently they are supposed to be responsible. By the way, this was all very hard, they barely spoke English, called colleagues who supposedly spoke better English, etc... I remember that they didn't understand what "Playing Cards" are, despite all my attempts of explanation. I looked it up in Thai, they still didn't understand me (I speak/read/write basic Thai). Only after I spelled the word out, they were like "aaaahhhhh ooohhhh okkkkk." After some consulting, they concluded that it wasn't their competence and that I should call yet another number. So I called that number, and a familiar voice picked up. It was the Excise Department.

Eventually, I asked a Thai friend to contact FedEx. (Even though I gave them my number several times, they never called.) I ended up talking to a guy who spoke perfect English, and he explained that I basically had two options: 1) Apply for a license, 2) employ an "external broker" who would act as an intermediary between customs and FedEx, and "sort things out", for a fee, of course. So I chose the broker. Disclaimer: It all sounded very legal to me and I had no suspicions that there was any corruption going on. They said the broker would contact me.

+13 -- Broker calls me. Will release the package for 13'000 Baht. I thought that was a bit much, given the nature of the goods (i.e., paper, albeit evil) and the fact that their total value was barely 6'000 Baht. I asked them to reconsider.

until +26 -- Several attempts to contact the broker, various emails with FedEx. Finally, I got the broker's last offer: 13'000 Baht. I told them politely to F off and that they should destroy the cards, whatever.

So that's the end of that story. Until...

+38 -- FedEx contacts me. They suggest to try "another broker" and provided a phone number.

until +41 -- Negotiations with the broker via a Thai friend. Initial offer: 13k. After negotiations: 8k. My friend insisted on 5k (bluffing).

+42 -- An agreement for 6k has been reached. Hurraaayyy.

+45 -- Received account details and transfered 6k.

+50 -- Received the cards.

All in all, it took over 2 months from order till arrival, and I paid double the price. I'll keep a few decks sealed, you know, for all the good memories...

Oh, and the White Lions: They must have reached Nirvana by now.

Peace. ;)

Jan 21, 2017
Thanks for the update. Ridiculous nonsense, Thais are treated like children by the officials. They all play cards using Chinese crap purchased at Mom&Pop shops for 50 Baht.

Maybe a lot of the difficulty was introduced through FedEx, they have a reputation for screwing the maximum out of inward shipments.

At least you finally got your hands on the cards. I will not be ordering any by post. Just brought twelve or so decks back from Singapore.

I checked and see that could have put me 10 years behind bars and/or a fine of around 13,000 Baht...... Now they are here, it is only three years max in the monkey house and/or a fine.

Holding a knife to someone only costs 500 Baht and a "be a good boy" warning.

It is time for me to move on to a more civilised country, where the population is treated like adults, and I can work without having to worry about compatriots doing the "holier than thou" act.

You'all have a great day!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results