• 25-40

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 40+

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
Something I am curious about, being brand new to this, is how old the average cardist is? From the videos I see, it would appear that almost everyone is early 20's or less, which if true would make me an ancient old man in this community. :)

I started playing with cards when I was young, like 7-10 years old, but it fell off my radar for about 25 years until now. I'm guessing that my cardless-gap is longer than a lot of you have been alive. Heh.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Something I am curious about, being brand new to this, is how old the average cardist is? From the videos I see, it would appear that almost everyone is early 20's or less, which if true would make me an ancient old man in this community. :)

I started playing with cards when I was young, like 7-10 years old, but it fell off my radar for about 25 years until now. I'm guessing that my cardless-gap is longer than a lot of you have been alive. Heh.

If you think about it the most famous cardists are in that range of age: Dan and Dave, Andrei Jikh, Alejandro Portela, TheVirts, Chris Hestnes. It is likely that you feel identified with someone that is contemporaneous with you, therefore look at him as a model. Likewise older people feel represented by the older generation of magic and don't feel very attracted to the new tendencies.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
If you think about it the most famous cardists are in that range of age: Dan and Dave, Andrei Jikh, Alejandro Portela, TheVirts, Chris Hestnes. It is likely that you feel identified with someone that is contemporaneous with you, therefore look at him as a model. Likewise older people feel represented by the older generation of magic and don't feel very attracted to the new tendencies.

That is kind of what I was getting at. I am utterly intrigued with cardistry and only slightly in learning actual "magic tricks" but it does seem like all the stars of cardistry are young guys. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but it is interesting how certain demographics are so much more willing then others to pick up and experiment with new things.

Im quite sure that nobody I know of my age would understand why on earth I'd "waste" time learning this, but they sure would think its cool if they see it in person. But really, there's no better time to play with cards then after the kids have gone to bed and you just want to chill on the couch. :)

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
That is kind of what I was getting at. I am utterly intrigued with cardistry and only slightly in learning actual "magic tricks" but it does seem like all the stars of cardistry are young guys. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but it is interesting how certain demographics are so much more willing then others to pick up and experiment with new things.

Im quite sure that nobody I know of my age would understand why on earth I'd "waste" time learning this, but they sure would think its cool if they see it in person. But really, there's no better time to play with cards then after the kids have gone to bed and you just want to chill on the couch. :)

Think about it though. The greatest magicians of all time are usually well above 40. I understand that this is not always true but magic is much different than cardistry. Whereas in Cardistry arthritis can hinder learning, in magic, it has so much to do with experience and presentation. This is probably why you don't see 60 year old cardists.

You have to remember that Cardistry is still a young artform. The System only came out in 2004, and before that, there was not a lot of material out on it. A young artform from young creators leads to a younger following.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results