The Hypothetically Ideal Gimmick

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Alright, time for a nice old discussion. I feel like we haven't had one in a while.

So I've been experimenting again. I'm looking through some gimmicks, creating a few with half baked ideas to see if they work, etc. I'm wondering how you guys would answer to this, because I know the answers will vary.

Without describing the effect or performance, or even thinking about a gimmick that exists physically and/or hypothetically, describe the ideal gimmick. Again, not what it might do, but what it would be like. You can't even go as short as saying "its used for coins/whatever". It can't really be there or here. What would the non-performance/effect characteristics of the ideal gimmick be, and why?

I have my own thoughts, but would like to hear you guys' thoughts first.

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
A gimmick that is undetectable because of its overabundance of obviousness.
This is basically what I was going to add. Something that looks perfectly natural, to the point that it would never even cross a spectator's mind to ask to examine it or consider it to be part of the secret because what they can see appears so obvious and natural throughout the effect, that they dismiss it immediately.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
A gimmick that is undetectable because of its overabundance of obviousness.
This is basically what I was going to add. Something that looks perfectly natural, to the point that it would never even cross a spectator's mind to ask to examine it or consider it to be part of the secret because what they can see appears so obvious and natural throughout the effect, that they dismiss it immediately.
So I'm assuming you mean something like an ID, or Cold Case, something that is naturally there? Something like a book test book, or a coin shell, etc.

If so, would things like ITRs, or IT in general, not work? Things that aren't brought out into the open? What about something like DressCode, or anything that isn't directly shown not count?

Reactions: Lindel
Oct 12, 2016
Utah
I would say those would all qualify, if done well, since really what you're looking for is "invisible", as RealityOne said. Basically, for the ideal gimmick, whatever the spectator can see, and whatever movements are necessary on your part, would have to be perfectly justified and logical in the context of the routine, and if you've got that covered, then it doesn't matter what they can't see.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results