• Cardistry

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Can't you read it's both?

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • No Comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oh...My...God

Yeah David Ginn reminds me of my grandpa trying to do magic. As far as the topic goes I like to think of T11 having a ying yang balance to it. Without the flourishes and magicians alike on here it wouldn't be T11. I can go to E or DnD and both are on the opposite sides of the spectrum but I come here I can discuss flourishing one day if thats my choice and then magic the next. I going half and half on this one.

Shane

Nov 30, 2007
I think kind of both. But at the same time, I just think that flourishing is used to make magic better. I think that florishing is used to make the audience go wow and think that it is really cool and they have really put in practice. I think it is just eye candy.

Tai

Feb 24, 2008
Raccoon City
Interviews aren't rules, it's an opinion.

I think it depends on point of view. I'm no magician, although I used to be, and I think flourishing and magic do not go together, period, but somehow T11 gets them both on one website.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
It does, and it doesn't.

It does answer my question (thank you for pointing me there) but it raises too many more.

While I can appreciate what he is trying to do, his definitions do not do a good job of defining how and why "cardistry" is different from the other terms. (It doesn't help that he says "Cardistry and Card Flourishing actually mean essentially the same thing. " He offers some delineations, but these are not clear and easily refuted with examples - nor does he offer enough examples to establish how cardistry has gone beyond things which are "essentially the same."

He ignores the fact that acts comprised on nothing more than fans, spreads, springs, etc. have been performed for decades - thereby making his "cardistry as something both stands alone and is different/more evolved" an inaccurate view.

He confuses the matter further when he says one can combine "cardistry" and magic in the four ace production example. Seems to me, that puts us right back to where we were with the flourishes.

So, while I think I have a better idea of what is intended by the term, I do not think these definitions have been considered to the degree necessary for understanding, let alone acceptance.

Brad HEnderson
Hey contact Richard or lets wait until he posts here the answers to your questions... Its good to have here a Genii writer, think about an interview to Richard about Cardistry, or a report about the term Cardistry... Would be cool

Aris

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Hey contact Richard or lets wait until he posts here the answers to your questions... Its good to have here a Genii writer, think about an interview to Richard about Cardistry, or a report about the term Cardistry... Would be cool

Aris

Thanks Aris, I sent Brad a PM about the points he raised. Didn't want to make this thread go too off topic with a whole discussion on terminology.

Sep 1, 2007
This site is about magic, started by magicians, look at the logo it says "magic epicenter", when you're on google it doesn't say learn underground flourishes it says learn magic tricks, all their custom decks are designed for magic and not flourishing in mind, all (yes every single one) of t11's one-trick ellusionist style DVDs and gimmicks are magic.

flourishing is something that a few of the MAGICIANS dabble in on the side. the exception being richard of course. theory 11 is a magic website that noticed that this flourishing stuff is getting pretty hot and figured they'd pull in richard to make something happen. which he's doing a great job with.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I feel that theory11's community has a large portion that is into this cardistry.

jonraiker, I would like to see flourishing/ cardistry come into the same league as magic but right now, anyone that flourishes is considered a "card punk". Magic is also in another league because I don't think somone is going to hire you for a gig to sit there and perform cobra cuts and Jackson 5's all night, it may look cool, but magic is much cooler looking in a spectators eyes from what I have experienced.

Thats just my 2 cents, what do you think....

Alright just to clear things out. Theory11 members majority wise are magic lovers. The members who post cardistry videos are members from decknique. Some of the members here don't even like flourishing. The products sold here are magic. The magic videos that are submitted are boring to watch and are from members here. I hope that in the near future theory11 makes a balance with both magic and cardistry.

Alright just to clear things out. Theory11 members majority wise are magic lovers. The members who post cardistry videos are members from decknique. Some of the members here don't even like flourishing. The products sold here are magic. The magic videos that are submitted are boring to watch and are from members here. I hope that in the near future theory11 makes a balance with both magic and cardistry.

We'll I can't argue with you the fact that there's a serious issue here of pick and choose on media that they will allow. But I wouldn't say all of the media is boring though. I have submitted atleast 3 performances in Putfile and Youtube format and none of mine have been accepted. I submitted a Morgan Streblers Liquid Metal Performance of me at the Water Gardens in Fort Worth which everyone seemed to love it over at E. And the other 2 where live performances as well all where denied so I just stopped submitting footage on T11. I think we need more live performance media but that's a different topic and I don't really want to get all into that right now.

Shane

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results