Votes: 36 45.6%
  • No Comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
hey guys,

here i come to ask an opinion,
i know its both, but one side i think is clearly taking over.... but which?

is theory11 more of a magic site or a cardistry site?

cast your vote, show your side, speak your thoughts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

caruso here,
i got into magic about 2 months ago, my first flourishy cuts where:
-the old basic sibyl ( took me a whole month to leanr it)
-and the butterfly cut (which i still cant do)

i think this site is
90% cardistry,
8% contests
1% me,
and 1% magic

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I think that it has its mgic side and cardistry side, thats why richard, DnD, DM are here :p and some others to make sure that cardistry remains on t11 as equal as magic..

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Caruso,

I don't think that your 1% estimate is a fair judgment by any stretch, as all but one of our DVD's to date have been entirely magic effects, and the vast majority of our team is made up of magicians (although some flourish as well).

That said, we believe in cardistry as an artform and will continue to strive for equal emphasis in the months and years to come. Our team places both in equal regard, and we try to maintain a solid balance as much as possible.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hm. Well, heaps of people flourish on this site and there are quite a few 1-on-1's and media submissions which are all just flourishing.. but, it's still more of a magic site to me.

So, it's a magic site where HEAPS AND HEAPS of people flourish. *nods*

Sep 4, 2007
Both artforms have a very strong presence, but in very different ways.

Magic dominates the Tricks section of the site, while cardistry apparently has a powerful presence in the Media section. I'd say the two are on equal footing as far as the 1-on-1s and the forums are concerned.

;)

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
ok. on the second post i didn't mean 'pot' but 'post' so sorry.....

and the 1% magic it was just expressing my thoughts meaning that it is a little magic, because i know that all the official t11 DVDs are magic, but most people here flourish, or flourish and magic...

i think it is: a magic site with a big flourisher community

Dec 14, 2007
Aris,

Thanks.

Now how is that different from Flourishing, per se?

Brad

(Allow me to explain why I ask. Several years ago the whole flourish/magic/XCM thing was being widely discussed in magic journals. Dan and Dave had an appearance in Genii magazine, and it raised a lot of questions. I thought the "movement" for lack of a better term might stick around for a while, and rather than stick my head in the sand - as some magicians wanted to do - I thought it would be worthwhile to learn who was behind it and what they were trying to do.

So, I was the first person to interview De'Vo. His interview appeared in Genii magazine and he discussed what he felt the XCM movement was and what he was trying to do. He discussed how it fit in with magic - and didn't - and how it was similar and different from just flourishes.

Now, I see this term - cardistry - and just wanted to know what it was, if it was some "new" genre or just a new word.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks)

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Aris,

Thanks.

Now how is that different from Flourishing, per se?

Brad

(Allow me to explain why I ask. Several years ago the whole flourish/magic/XCM thing was being widely discussed in magic journals. Dan and Dave had an appearance in Genii magazine, and it raised a lot of questions. I thought the "movement" for lack of a better term might stick around for a while, and rather than stick my head in the sand - as some magicians wanted to do - I thought it would be worthwhile to learn who was behind it and what they were trying to do.

So, I was the first person to interview De'Vo. His interview appeared in Genii magazine and he discussed what he felt the XCM movement was and what he was trying to do. He discussed how it fit in with magic - and didn't - and how it was similar and different from just flourishes.

Now, I see this term - cardistry - and just wanted to know what it was, if it was some "new" genre or just a new word.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks)
Check this out, Brad.

Hope this helps =)

Dec 14, 2007
It does, and it doesn't.

It does answer my question (thank you for pointing me there) but it raises too many more.

While I can appreciate what he is trying to do, his definitions do not do a good job of defining how and why "cardistry" is different from the other terms. (It doesn't help that he says "Cardistry and Card Flourishing actually mean essentially the same thing. " He offers some delineations, but these are not clear and easily refuted with examples - nor does he offer enough examples to establish how cardistry has gone beyond things which are "essentially the same."

He ignores the fact that acts comprised on nothing more than fans, spreads, springs, etc. have been performed for decades - thereby making his "cardistry as something both stands alone and is different/more evolved" an inaccurate view.

He confuses the matter further when he says one can combine "cardistry" and magic in the four ace production example. Seems to me, that puts us right back to where we were with the flourishes.

So, while I think I have a better idea of what is intended by the term, I do not think these definitions have been considered to the degree necessary for understanding, let alone acceptance.

Brad HEnderson

It does, and it doesn't.

It does answer my question (thank you for pointing me there) but it raises too many more.

While I can appreciate what he is trying to do, his definitions do not do a good job of defining how and why "cardistry" is different from the other terms. (It doesn't help that he says "Cardistry and Card Flourishing actually mean essentially the same thing. " He offers some delineations, but these are not clear and easily refuted with examples - nor does he offer enough examples to establish how cardistry has gone beyond things which are "essentially the same."

He ignores the fact that acts comprised on nothing more than fans, spreads, springs, etc. have been performed for decades - thereby making his "cardistry as something both stands alone and is different/more evolved" an inaccurate view.

He confuses the matter further when he says one can combine "cardistry" and magic in the four ace production example. Seems to me, that puts us right back to where we were with the flourishes.

So, while I think I have a better idea of what is intended by the term, I do not think these definitions have been considered to the degree necessary for understanding, let alone acceptance.

Brad HEnderson

Cardistry is a word that richard dug up and used it for decknique. There is no difference. People say cardistry because they think it sounds better. Oh and I think I saw your interview on youtube
Part 1
Part 2
Flourishers such as Devo, Dan and Dave, DanielMadison have helped the community tremendlesy. Without them most us would have been like this guy.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
There's more magic products, but it seems likemost of the users here are cardists, and that's what constitutes most of the videos, as well. I would like to see more magic, but that's just the way it is.

Tai

Feb 24, 2008
Raccoon City
I used to be a magician, but now I'm moving almost completely to flourishing, which I think I'm a lot better at. (XD)

So it's nice to see T11 as a mutual magic AND flourishing community, because PM forums are magic anti-flourisher dominated and Decknique is almost the opposite, but I don't think DN has a problem with magicians...

Anyway, I think flourishing dominates the media section (for those magicians here that don't know, Decknique lost its media section when it merged with T11) but the forums have way more magic.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
I think it is a magic site because, look at the founders: magicians. of course flourishing/xcm/cardistry or whatever you want to call it will still be there throughout magic, only because most magicians can flourish.

kevin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results