Thoughts on my One Coin Routine?

Mar 11, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums, and would like to showcase a little One Coin Routine I've been working on. Laymen like it and it's not too technically demanding.

What are your thoughts on such a routine? Do you notice any awkward moments, pauses, or handlings that could be improved? I'd love some of your input.

Cheers,

Reactions: Josh Burch
Mar 30, 2015
This is exceptionally pleasant and nice post....You shook posting it....Thanks a ton for posting it....!!!

Jan 28, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums, and would like to showcase a little One Coin Routine I've been working on. Laymen like it and it's not too technically demanding.

What are your thoughts on such a routine? Do you notice any awkward moments, pauses, or handlings that could be improved? I'd love some of your input.

Cheers,

Very well done.

|| Steven

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

I'll try to post some more routines I've got in progress in the near future.

Dec 17, 2013
Awesome, if I have to be a stickler though, it would look really cool if the hand that you are using to catch the muscle pass did not come down abruptly. However this seems like a hard problem to solve.

Jul 11, 2013
Thats a great routine! One thing that i would personally work on is the ditch of the coin. Just try to make that action a little more smooth and it will be perfect!

Mar 11, 2013
Wow, I'm impressed that you are using such a large coin. Please feel free to share more!
Hello Josh,
Thanks for all the positivity you've been spreading on my posts :D.

Actually, I've got two other coin routine in the works; I'll work on getting the handling and patter fluid and definitely share it here once I feel I'm proficient at them.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Great job, but I'd pick another way to ditch the coin. Everything was fluid and natural, but pulling on your shirt like that to adjust was out of place in my opinion. Maybe sleeve it? Or look at Ben Seidman's Alchemy (right here on T11) - basically the best vanish I've ever seen.

Reactions: wildwildcat
Mar 11, 2013
Great job, but I'd pick another way to ditch the coin. Everything was fluid and natural, but pulling on your shirt like that to adjust was out of place in my opinion. Maybe sleeve it? Or look at Ben Seidman's Alchemy (right here on T11) - basically the best vanish I've ever seen.

I do sleeve when appropriate, but wanted to take advantage of the benefits of a breast pocket. Bobo's has some other, perhaps more motivated options for me to explore, so I guess the ditch is a WIP for now.

I'll check out Alchemy when I can, it's a pity I just used my Elite Points :p

As for other ditches, I've been playing around with a watch band or my collar, but more on those when I've got them better developed.

Thanks for your comments, Rneogy!

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
One thing I particularly liked about this routine as opposed to others is that it's quite engaging towards an audience which, in my opinion, is very difficult to achieve with coins, so kudos on that!

Please post more performances though, looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve. ;)

Jun 13, 2013
I always like using larger coins, and I too prefer silver dollars. You handle the coin very well. I however, am always looking for something more when it comes to patter. You can make this routine even better than where it is but the patter should be something different.

A lot of magicians seem to be drawn to a description of what is happening in their routine. I have found that lay people are not drawn to this so I tend to avoid it. Why tell them what they can see? You routine as strong as it is (I think the last ditch as mentioned above could use some work, perhaps don't ditch the coin with the leading hand right in front, maybe bring their attention lower or across more) will do well in front of people. But to make it a truly great routine find something to say other than, "if I grab right here, it pops back out".

What is your goal with this routine? You start by mentioning that the silver fits in your palm better is that for us as magicians or a part of the patter? If its patter run with that opener why does it fit in your hand better? Maybe its a joke and each time the coin vanishes only to reappear is only an 'example' of it fitting.

These are just ideas, I am in no way saying that is what you must do. But your patter can really make this into a beautiful effect.

Well done

Reactions: wildwildcat
Mar 11, 2013
I always like using larger coins, and I too prefer silver dollars. You handle the coin very well. I however, am always looking for something more when it comes to patter. You can make this routine even better than where it is but the patter should be something different.

A lot of magicians seem to be drawn to a description of what is happening in their routine. I have found that lay people are not drawn to this so I tend to avoid it. Why tell them what they can see? You routine as strong as it is (I think the last ditch as mentioned above could use some work, perhaps don't ditch the coin with the leading hand right in front, maybe bring their attention lower or across more) will do well in front of people. But to make it a truly great routine find something to say other than, "if I grab right here, it pops back out".

What is your goal with this routine? You start by mentioning that the silver fits in your palm better is that for us as magicians or a part of the patter? If its patter run with that opener why does it fit in your hand better? Maybe its a joke and each time the coin vanishes only to reappear is only an 'example' of it fitting.

These are just ideas, I am in no way saying that is what you must do. But your patter can really make this into a beautiful effect.

Well done
Hey Frederick,

Thanks so much for your constructive thoughts! I had a great chat with forum member Edward Hammond who also expressed the same sentiments. Since then, I've been trying to slowly modify my patter to include something that is slightly esoteric and perhaps more engaging.

I really like the thoughts you've presented here, and I'll definitely work towards something even stronger.

Kind regards,
Owen

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results