Thumbcut help

Aug 7, 2013
Title explains it all, issue i'm having with my thumbcut is that regardless of how much I push it over my index finger isn't able to get the cards into a position where my thumb can reach over.

Is this an issue that requires a practice remedy or what?

UPDATED: Also, another question, when I'm practicing from Genesis V1, should I be doing the moves in both hands then moving on, or learning on one hand then going back to do it in the other? I find that learning moves is really easy on my left hand, but simply holding a deck of cards in my right hand feels awkward, I have a hard time even getting a charlier down.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 23, 2013
As for the thumb cut, i can't do it myself so no advice here.
As for which hand to learn it from, learn the one hand cuts in your non-main hand. (So if you are right handed, learn it with the left hand and vice versa)

Aug 17, 2013
Earth
Title explains it all, issue i'm having with my thumbcut is that regardless of how much I push it over my index finger isn't able to get the cards into a position where my thumb can reach over.

Is this an issue that requires a practice remedy or what?

UPDATED: Also, another question, when I'm practicing from Genesis V1, should I be doing the moves in both hands then moving on, or learning on one hand then going back to do it in the other? I find that learning moves is really easy on my left hand, but simply holding a deck of cards in my right hand feels awkward, I have a hard time even getting a charlier down.

Thanks!

Hey, I had this exact same problem and to be honest I still can't do it very well. BUT, I will say that yes it is something that is remedied with practice. Could you possibly upload a temporary video of you showing us how you do it. I would be more able to give you advice if I saw how you were doing it and where you were messing up.

Sep 19, 2013
I had the same problem with the thumb cut. Most of the one handed cuts would experience at least subtle improvement with an hour or 2 of practice. Not the thumb cut. I actually bailed on it until I had some of the other moves down so well I felt bad for not mastering a foundational cut, so I decided to revisit it. My facility with a full deck is still weak, but it's way better than the frustrating mess it was. This helped me:

> Forget about using the whole deck (for now) - Take half a pack and you'll be surprised at how much easier this becomes. When you can burn through like 10 reps, add 1+ cards. I was able to do this easily up until i had 3/4 of the deck; I'm inconsistent after that. This your breaking point. I'm working on adding one card at a time now. This method really helps you adjust to the deck for best method for your hand size/shape.

> I also followed along with Genesis v1 and there's a subtle shift that Andrei and everyone else who teaches it glosses over. it make all the difference. If you manage to clip the cards and extend them, it seems at first that you can't close that pack on top of the other. That's b/c the fleshy pad of your hand has to open a bot so that the pack sitting your palm will slide backward slightly. This gives you room to close. Basically just open your pal enough. It's a small detail but it gave me fits.

The problem I still have with a larger pack are that the bottom pack sticks under the top pack so it won't break loose. I'm still looking for a permanent solution to that. Also, the clipped pack shakes loose sometimes, but I think I just need more reps to clip it deep enough that my grip is secure.

Other than that I just go slow and try to pay attention to what works and repeat it. That goes for any move. Also, on practicing for both hands, I usually get it smooth in my non-dominant hand as was mentioned and then move to my right. Even then though, I usually just practice with half the deck as I assume it will be a 2 handed move. That may be an oversight that bites me in the ass though.

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I'll post a video when I get the chance. And, Enigma, thanks for the extensive tips, lol. That's what bothered me about this one move on Genesis, everything is extremely specific but it's just this one move where I feel like something more could have been said, or maybe I just dislike how hard it is. I don't know. Will definitely keep practicing, though.

Also, enigma, do you practice a cut in both hands when you're starting to learn it? Or first time in one, then go back and do it in the other? Right hand feels like a lobster claw to be honest.

Oct 31, 2013
Charlotte N.C.
I agree with enigma, but also using bridge sized cards help me with one handed cuts until I can do it well in that hand then i try a regular sized deck with about half the deck.

Sep 19, 2013
Also, enigma, do you practice a cut in both hands when you're starting to learn it? Or first time in one, then go back and do it in the other? Right hand feels like a lobster claw to be honest.

Typically I let my left hand do the work first, so that it learns the sticking points and conquers them. Then I can work that out much easier in the other hand. If I do it back and forth at the beginning it's more frustrating. Sometimes I'll try a cut in the right anyway just to see if there's some chance it 'fits' in my right hand better. The only one that's worked that way so far is the one handed fan. Also I'll switch over to the right if I'm getting frustrated with the left. I should also mention that I've played guitar for a long time, so I might have more facility in my left hand than most right handed cardists.

S_Darth

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2013
India
I'm having a similar problem with this cut but It's true that you will notice an improvement if you use 1/2 the deck or 1/4 the deck (easiest way) In Genesisv1, if I do remember correctly Andrei performs the Thumb Cut in both his hands simultaneously with Speed in the Huron Low fashion (ninjish), which looks awesome. So how do you plan to overcome the Speed factor in performing the thumb cuts simultaneously just like Andrei does (assuming that you have got the mechanics of the cut down)?
And for the part of gripping the packet with your thumb, you so get it down if you leave space between the base of the thumb and bottom of the packet, but that may lead to depletion of space for your fingers to move freely and break another packet from the main one to extend it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results