Volunteering for Children's Hospital

Jan 16, 2011
Hello all,
Recently, I visited a children's hospital to see a performance of my sister's choir for the patients there. As I was watching, my mom asked me how I would feel about doing magic for some of the patients there, and I said that would be wonderful. The only thing is, I'm going to have to get really serious about magic now: I've mostly just been taking the learning leisurely, but now that is out of the question. So, what products would help me with getting serious with magic, and definitely polishing up my repertoire? Wish me luck!

Thank you,
Harry Potter

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
From what i've read/heard about the subject is that you also have to be ready for the fact that if some of them touch your cards/props, then you'll have to throw those away right away. It can be very rewarding and I've heard a lot of guys enjoy doing it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have never had the opportunity to perform in hospitals yet but what my performing friends tell me is that many times you are not allowed to have the patients touch and hold props because of transferring germs and such from patient to patient. I do not believe you are allowed to use flash paper either. Many effects you choose will probably need to occur in your own hands or on a little strolling table or pad that you set out beside the patient.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I have never had the opportunity to perform in hospitals yet but what my performing friends tell me is that many times you are not allowed to have the patients touch and hold props because of transferring germs and such from patient to patient. I do not believe you are allowed to use flash paper either. Many effects you choose will probably need to occur in your own hands or on a little strolling table or pad that you set out beside the patient.

Well you CAN have effects where they touch props, just make sure you're willing to part with them after you are done. I've heard that many performers just things like Cups and Balls, Chop Cup, and stage effects.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
As Rick said, you should be prepared to do a show without anyone touching your props. I'm working on a parlor show for a hospital that only has one effect where a spectator touches the props (and working to figure out how to eliminate that one). That doesn't mean that you don't have spectator interaction, it just means that the interaction needs to be verbal.

Flash paper is off limits as well as anything that has a flame (lighters, matches, etc.) -- there often is use of oxygen in the hospital and an open flame could cause a serious problem. Also, don't perform anything with balloons - it has to do with the fact they are made from latex.

The other issue is you have to be careful with your patter as well as what you say to them. Many patients are facing serious diseases. You have to be careful to be too "down" and say things like "it really sucks that you are here" - they know that and your job is to take their minds off of that. Also, be careful about giving false hope - a simple attempt to be encouraging by saying "just keep a positive attitude and you will be fine" could set someone off if they know that their chance of long term survival is less than 20%. If you are going room to room, I suspect you may be accompanied by a nurse or staff person. Find out why the kids are there. It will help you in performing for them and in talking to them.

Let me know if you need any help developing routines to perform or developing the presentation for effects.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Let me just chime in here and quickly say,

"Awesome!!!" It's a wonderful thing that you'll be doing. Enjoy yourself as you move up to the front of the Karma Bus!

Remember:

1) Have fun. Smile!
2) Prepare yourself in case you're asked to do "bedside magic" which is probably going to be what will happen. Meaning, you'll be doing magic 1 on 1, besides someone's bed.
3) Remember that you will be the highlight of their day. Take that to heart with all your might. You'll be great.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would love to hear how this goes for you. Please share afterwards so we can see what went well and what you learned from the experience. Have a blast man.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results