Wedding

Jan 30, 2010
hey everyone i will be doing magic at a wedding in 2 weeks it will be my first time doing anything like this.
right now im deffinetely be doing

rum jungle
a clipshift a idea where card changes in hand
in the hands triumph
the first part of off balance transpo

what are your thoughts?

do you reccomend any tricks?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Just mainly use stuff that you really enjoy doing, and you are really good at. You don't want to be trying new stuff at this point in the game. You already know what effects you like and you are good at.

Good luck!

justin

Ok this is what i have on me ready to do when i am in a walk around situation.

2 decks of cards (red and red, so i can replace any cards that are missing)
on one of the cards i have the static gimmick ( depending on the group i may remove the card for performance)

forks (about 6 For metal bending)

spongeballs (usualy 4, but if i feel in a good mood, 2 black and 2 red (with the sponge ball to cube one also(they pack small so its nice))

thumbtip (either for bill switch or for spongeball switches)

a lil card wallet with: WOW, distortion ( i dont usually use it, but it is there) my kate and edith (walk around size) identity, and 1 or 2 blank backs)

my wallet in my pocket ( with extreme burn, all cards on one card gag, sometimes a coin or 2, braided bill)

Lighter (with lit gimmick)

Straws (if they are there)

rubber bands (around wrist)

sharpie (Black and Red)
Pen (2 of them)
business cards

That is about all i carry, there might be an extra deck in there sometimes.

It sounds like ALOT but it really isnt. its all about pocket management, and if you wear a jacket it all fits in quite nice.

but thats what i carry

Now for the tricks i usually do.

Basic Pick a card loose a card and then magically find it (quick opener)* this can also be replaced with Chicago opener

straw trick (where you twist them together and they break apart.)

crazy man handcuffs
missing link (if they respond to crazy man)

Static ( 3 part routine)

triumph

fork bending

extreme burn

wow

That is basically what i may do during a night.
sometimes i'll add in a differnt trick, like remember a card, forget a card
but that is basically the effects i use.

you want about 3 different routines so you can do a different one at each table.

also make each trick short enough so it doesnt drag on, so you can end the effect when you want.

thats my 2 cents

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Chris has offered you great advice. I did a wedding reception back in October and it was outstanding. I'm super busy right now but you may be able to find it in the forums called wedding gig or reception gig.

Basically like Chris said, you want about 3 routines using about 3 effects each.
Your opener better get their attention quick or you will lose the table's attention quickly to the DJ's music, drinks, pretty girls, etc. Some spectators from one table may even follow you to the next table if they love the magic so you do not want them to see the exact same effects if you can help it.

90 percent of my effects at walk around events are instant reset effects because you may or may not have a place to go off to in order to reset. However, I always keep a few knock out effects if a crowd has built around me in a corner, or by the bar and you just want to floor about 20 people at once. This is also good because the father of the groom or whoever hired you hears the cheering / excitement and sees that it was money well spent on your services.

Definitely have business cards on you and incorporate them into an effect but DO NOT make people take them if they have not asked. Don't just throw them on the table. This is not your special day but is the bride and groom's day. You are just there to entertain in the back ground and keep people having fun.

Make friends with the D.J. and some of the people serving the food and they will not cause you any hassle or headaches through out the night. I normally show them an effect prior to all the people getting there so they know that you mean business, are good at what you do, and are there to entertain and not get in their way.

PLEASE SHOW UP EARLY...ALMOST A HALF HOUR TO AN HOUR. Dress sharp, make sure you shower, and nails better look presentable. Ease up on the cologne. Scope out the tables a head of time and try to make a plan of attack.

Most of all, HAVE FUN. It will be your personality and excitement that allows the people to have a good time.

Many other guys on this forum have done receptions before and can chime in. I could write a ton more but am heading out of the house right now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results