What Coins Should I Use?

Feb 1, 2015
What coins should I use? Okay, so I have picked up coin magic over the past 8 months or so, and I have been struggling to find a good set of coins for me. I was doing card magic before and I have not done a full switch to coin magic, but I want to split it so I can do both card and coin 50% each. I ordered 4 Barber Halves from eBay and am thinking about buying some Chinese coins. I have never seen anybody use just Chinese coins unless in a spellbound, and Chinese coins are not exactly commonly justified in America. Currently, I use Kennedy Halves, but I want to change that. Hopefully, a more experienced coin magician can point me in the direction of the perfect coin set for me with the info I have provided below. I've saved up some money for a good coin set over the past couple months, so my budget is somewhat high. These are just some things I would like in a coin / coin set;

- Needs to be under 100$ for a set of 5 coins, maybe $150 if they are really nice
- Expanded Shells aren't that hard to find (Price range up to $75)
- Need to be silver
- Old, so that they are soft but not so old that they have rust
- Around the size of a Kennedy half-dollar

Anything helps, thanks!

Apr 18, 2016
USA
I use poker chips extensively, especially while working cards. The presentation works great as the items are supposed to be together. In my metal working I prefer Kennedy halfs, my local gas station saves them for me.

Reactions: obrienmagic
Feb 1, 2015
Poker chips is a great idea. I haven't really ever thought of them as coins, though I do have some cool ideas for poker chips in my card routine. I feel like they are too big for my hands as I am young and my hand is about 1 playing card across and about 1 3/4 tall playing card. I would prefer to work with coins instead of chips, but thanks a ton! (If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears)

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Really anything that will fit comfortably in your hands. I prefer half dollars because they are imo the perfect size. I know a lot of magicians who use quarters because they are more common and a lot of magicians who prefer dollar size coins because they are larger and seem harder to hide. Honestly it is whatever YOU are most comfortable with!

Jun 12, 2010
If you are looking for an actual set, i.e. a shell with shimmed down coins to perfectly fit that shell, you are going to have a very hard time finding anything silver for $100 or less. There is some truly great work being done with coin gimmicks out there. Lassen and Schoolcraft are hands down the best work you will find, but it will cost you quite a bit for a set. ($300 +) As for the size of the coins, don't limit yourself. Coin magic can be done with any size coin. There are wonderful effects done with pennies, dimes, quarters, halves, dollars and even 3 inch jumbo coins. Since you are newly exploring coin magic, just get a cheap set. As you are learning it will get beat up a bit, but it will do the job and you can learn the moves and hone your craft.

Reactions: Mr.Book
Jun 13, 2013
Tampa, FL
Okay... Walking liberties or heads are pretty standard in the community, but i'll tell you what Mr. Jones and Kainoa told me. Why limit yourself? Different coins work better for different things. It ultimately comes down to preference, but mess around! In the mean time, you can totally find a local coin shop and they'll have decent walking liberties for around $15. The more you buy, the better the price. Hope this helped a smidge.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results