What makes a beginner... what makes a pro?

Nov 6, 2007
40 ways to force a card is a great DVD for forces, I have it and I havent been using it much because I'm working on flourishes. But so far it works great. They're all really good forces. I've watched quite a few of them. You can get it online or at a local magic store.

Dec 28, 2007
And to be fair, I understand what you're getting at. People categorise beginners as learners,and the statement "we're all beginners" is a reminder that we should all be learning. It does make sense.

The source of my strong opinion on the subject comes from the over-use of the "we're all just beginners" soundbite in the martial arts...it just really winds my clock when a very, very accomplished martial artist trots this out, whether its an attempt to appear humble and wise or to encourage actual beginners I don't know, but it just sounded smug to me. Which is exactly why I never say it to MY students!

By the by, what do you do that took 11 years of college and university? That's some SERIOUS flight time!

I used to do alot of martial arts so thats probably where i heard it.
My job, Mechanical engineering. Started on the shop floor as an a apprentice and kept on going up. now im a design engineer.
What martial arts do you study?

Sep 1, 2007
Ooooh, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. A typical training session will include some boxing, leg kicks and grappling (taken from Judo and Wrestling mostly). A little bit of groundwork, but our emphasis is on techniques that can be used for self defence if necessary, so we focus on staying on our feet.

I did maths and physics at university, and the engineering courses I took were pretty interesting. I got out after I got my degree though - couldn't have faced it any longer!

Oct 25, 2007
I myself have been doing Flourishes for about a year and i'm somewhat good but no pro.

Magic though, i just started doing about 3-4 months and I'm very good at it and because of this i consider myself a pro but there's always room for improvement.

It's my opinion that it all depends on how comfortable you feel when it comes to performing for others.

If you find yourself feeling nervous and doubting your abilities then you're somewhere near to a beginner than a professional. And if you don't then you're closer to a professional than a beginner.

Sep 1, 2007
Gosh...you really haven't read any of the previous posts have you?

Or even worse, you did read the topic and didn't get the point.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results