Where is a decent Muse Cut Tutorial

Sep 30, 2015
TN
I've been trying to learn the muse cut and have been having trouble getti g the packet over the rest of the cards in my hand. I think something is off in the way I am holding the main packet.

Is there a good media tutorial that shows clearly the way the card are being held?

English dialog preferred. Thanks in advance.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Muse Cut was the 4th flourish I ever learned. I used the tutorial by Henrik Forberg

I am assuming you are doing the same.

You can hold the deck two ways. One way leads you further into the flourish. IIRC, the other way feels more comfortable, but makes working the second packet next to impossible.

Anyway, you say you're having trouble with the packet and the deck passing each other. I tried out Mise Cut a little bit and I believe I may have an answer for you.

Part of it involves 'lowering' the deck as much as you can with your pinky and ring finger. The lower you can get, the easier it is for the packet to pass. You also need to have a light grip on the packet edges so if the packet makes contact with the deck, the packet adjusts accordingly. But the BIG part of the flourish relies on the grip you have with the pinky and ring fingers. If you can nail that, the packet-flippery won't be NEARLY an issue. The flips are the easiest and most fun part of the flourish.

Get that grip! And enjoy the flips!

I hope this helps in some capacity, let me know if you need additional help.

Reactions: WilliamC9
Sep 30, 2015
TN
Thank you all for the replies. I have gotten better and can pull off the muse cut and judo flip slowly quite often. Currently I am still working on holding the packet in my pinky and ring fingers. When I mess up it is because the flipping packet knocks the gripped packet inwards and out of my pinky.

Im not sure yet but i think it has to do with the angle (in and out from my torso) of the gripped packet... its amazing how much muscle memory comes into play with card flourishes. I find that when i get better i dont know exactly how i did it. I just succeed more often.

Reactions: Tjavd

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
That's one of the most troubling and amazing things: when you unexpectedly land a flourish perfectly, and you have no idea how to replicate it.

I'm actually working on Judo-Flip myself and I'm having some problems with landing the packet back in top. I've done it perfectly a few times. But have managed to fail a TON more. Not a fan of the inexplicable moments, but it's a good indicator that it can be done in ones hands.

Good luck!

Reactions: WilliamC9
Sep 30, 2015
TN
That's one of the most troubling and amazing things: when you unexpectedly land a flourish perfectly, and you have no idea how to replicate it.

I'm actually working on Judo-Flip myself and I'm having some problems with landing the packet back in top. I've done it perfectly a few times. But have managed to fail a TON more. Not a fan of the inexplicable moments, but it's a good indicator that it can be done in ones hands.

Good luck!

When you do the judo flip is your palm parallel to the ground? I've been doing it perpendicular-ish 45 deg kinda. Not much success. I watched the vid again and its looking more like i need to be parallel.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Arm angle doesn't matter. Been trying it both ways.

I figured out the packet thingy. When you are bringing the packet in and you 'take control of it' with your ring finger, have it outstretched as much as you can so that the 'control' is in the very corner with the tip of your ring finger. This way, when you push on the packet with your middle finger, any angle
Put on the packet will make it topple over.
Just be careful not to bring your ring finger too far down once you get your 'tip-grip'. Otherwise, you run the risk of the bottom section of the packet providing quite a nasty bit of resistance

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results