You Tell Me...

You tell me why a thread on the IBM, which is one of the BEST things you can do for your magic, has gotten 120 views... And yet a thread titled "The New E" which is about a stupid website design has gotten 800+ views.

Wheres your priority set, guys?

Just some food for though...

Sharp

You tell me why a thread on the IBM, which is one of the BEST things you can do for your magic, has gotten 120 views... And yet a thread titled "The New E" which is about a stupid website design has gotten 800+ views.

Sharp

Well, it was just put up recently because I hadn't seen it here last time I checked, and the "E" thread has been up since last night.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
So, for example, if you are someone who is concerned about politics; will you just read about politics in a newspaper?

Similarly, if one is an athelete, is he/she only allowed to read about sports in the newspaper...?

Answer is no.

Thus, even though someone is concerned about furthering out magic, I personally think that they can still be curious about what Ellusionist decides to do on their site. :)

I agree, but what you explain is not the case. People aren't just "Reading" or "caring" about what E is doing... they FLOOD the thread with opinions on something that, when it comes down to it, means NOTHING. Yet a thread on furthering our art is pushed back a page? :confused:

Sharp

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado

Sharp

Last I checked (which was a week or so ago) my review for Panic has gotten almost twice as many views as the official forum rules.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
This is the problem with these and E's forums. Good threads can go to the dogs, while threads regarding Angel's new haircut go straight to the top.

I love this site, but there are times when I just can't bring myself to go into the general forum... Just don't see the point.

Fixes to this? Threads like this are great, but they can only help so much.

Ty

Last I checked (which was a week or so ago) my review for Panic has gotten almost twice as many views as the official forum rules.

Yes...that is sad.

(Not referring to your review mate...you know what I mean)

And Ty, as long as you have something decent to add to a thread to bump it up to the top, there's no harm in that. If it's a good thread and there's more to be said, it'll get noticed.

Rabid

Sep 10, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Once t11 came into existance, E was dead to me. I thought this site would be all for magic, and improving it. I don't want to see one of the best magic forums go down into a spiraling death trap of "OMG Did you hear about blahblahblah's new bling?!" and "Whats better: Blue or Red?!"

An idea to help this is to maybe make a general magic section; where magic will be discussed, whether it be where a certain trick can be found or how someone's show went, and tips on performing certain sleights.
And have a off-topic section for all the folks who want to gossip.

Once t11 came into existance, E was dead to me. I thought this site would be all for magic, and improving it.
And have a off-topic section for all the folks who want to gossip.

As far as i can see, the two forums are pretty much the same, except that there's less moderation here and this one has only been in existence for a few months. E forums have some great contributors, as do these forums, and pretty much the same amount of bollocks. (obviously it can be argued there's more on E but then there's more of everything on E...it's been around a long time.)

(I'll grant you that I can't say bollocks on E though, which I guess is a big difference)

I wouldn't knock any forum on the head unless it's completely useless which neither of the two are. I'm as happy trawling through here as i am trawling through E's.

I go where i want and take and give back what i want and where i want. Worked for me so far, I'm not about to change anything.

Insomuch, I find it odd that E's forums are dead to you...?

Whatever, to each their own.

As for an off topic forum, tis' true it could be good. However in my experience of other places with them, they seem pretty pointless. If I wanna' talk to someone about girls, booze, cigarettes and the deeper meanings of a good chicken burger, i'd rather do that face to face in the pub. I'm on these places to learn about magic and talk with people about the same.

Personally I'd rather they all stayed magic related.

Rabid

Sep 10, 2007
Sacramento, CA
As for an off topic forum, tis' true it could be good. However in my experience of other places with them, they seem pretty pointless. If I wanna' talk to someone about girls, booze, cigarettes and the deeper meanings of a good chicken burger, i'd rather do that face to face in the pub. I'm on these places to learn about magic and talk with people about the same.

I guess changing the forums would just corrupt things even more. I think people just need more to inspire them. They get into magic and find that it's hard, get stuck, and never move on. But they stick around forums like this, knowing the lingo, and ever ready for information to peek it's head into the open. I think we just need more interaction on Magic. Which I know you're going to say is here already. But how much of it's here and how much is being used to it's full extent?

We need to ignore what shirt this magician had on, or who uses what kind of deck. We should dig deep into the art and use every bit of information we get to further ourselves as well as other around us.

Let's take Phenomenon for example. Many were rating the magicians and judges decisions last night and we all commented on those actions. What we should have done is find the history behind the tricks they did to better understand what the trick is all about and how you can learn and create your own variations of that trick.

This is just an example of what should be done for that situation. Next time someone says "This trick I did is called ----" Go research it, go learn it, go improve it. Take every name and find all you know about it. Use everything to the fullest to gain more knowledge on this wonderful art.

That is how we should keep the forums all about magic. That is how we can keep ourselves from "Talking about the deeper meaning of god chicken burgers." (great line by the way). Let's keep everyone on track by helping each other learn whilst we teach ourselves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results