My Invisible Palm - Funny Ending

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Very awesome! I loved the reactions! However, I don't like that every three words there was an, "Umm..." or a, "Here, check this out." Work on those two things, and it will be awesome! I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!

Sep 1, 2007
Wow. Way to steal Wayne Houchin's patter.

But killer performance nonetheless. Keep doing magic for real people, the way it's supposed to be done.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Wow. Way to steal Wayne Houchin's patter.

But killer performance nonetheless. Keep doing magic for real people, the way it's supposed to be done.

Steal patter...? If he thinks the patter suits the routine, then it's fine. I don't see the reason why people are complaining about people using other people's patter. It's good to be creative and think up your own patter, but it also doesn't harm to use the right and appropriate patter for the effect.

Sep 1, 2007
Steal patter...? If he thinks the patter suits the routine, then it's fine. I don't see the reason why people are complaining about people using other people's patter. It's good to be creative and think up your own patter, but it also doesn't harm to use the right and appropriate patter for the effect.

I don't know, I'm personally of the persuasion that patter is something that everyone should create for themselves. Besides, if you look at Houchin's performance, the intro is very similar, word-to-word.

Just saying...

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I'm surprised you're really more worried about the patter other than him doing the EXACT same effect as Wayne's version of the Invisible Palm... "he should create his own version of the Invisible Palm" is what you're basically saying.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I use the same opener for "More Memory Man", which is just an awesome memorized deck routine. I didn't steal it from Wayne. Jussayin'. How do you know he didn't come up with it before he even watched Wayne's video?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Im going to be blunt here for a minute and say these kind of responses are making me sick and agitated at the lack of comprehension of a well performed magic trick. Lately all I hear here is " you need to watch pros do a routine to understand how a routine should be put together", or " you say look too much or repeat yourself too much". We need to just get behind other performers when they get a great reaction from their audience instead of picking someone apart everytime it gets you annoyed your only annoyed cause you see this evreyday but a laymen does not so what works on them may not work on you. SO WHAT. Im about bored with the elitism among the crowd that I know they cant back there stuff up on a minutes notice. I would school most of these guys in this art that act like this cause there all talk and book smart but they probably couldn't control a crowd of a hundred if their life depended on it.

Shane

Umm... wow . You obviously didn't read my whole post. Here it is again:

Very awesome! I loved the reactions! However, I don't like that every three words there was an, "Umm..." or a, "Here, check this out." Work on those two things, and it will be awesome! I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!

I bolded the positive things, just to make it easier for you to comprehend. IMO, that was an overall pretty positive, and not elitist in any way, shape or form.

But, just in case you STILL don't get it, I'll break it down for you:

Im going to be blunt here for a minute and say these kind of responses are making me sick and agitated at the lack of comprehension of a well performed magic trick.

Was the effect well performed? For the most part, yes. It needed a little work, but I wouldn't say it was "awesome" or "great".

Lately all I hear here is " you need to watch pros do a routine to understand how a routine should be put together",

I wonder why? Maybe because THEY'RE PROS, and they know what they're doing? Maybe because they usually have good routines, and those can give you a good example of how to structure your routine? :rolleyes:

" you say look too much or repeat yourself too much".

These are things that NEED to be corrected if you're going to perform magic to its fullest, and give 100%. They may be tiny things, but they can affect your performance. One word can mean the difference between kindly applause, and screaming, gasps, and people running away.

We need to just get behind other performers when they get a great reaction from their audience

Did I NOT say it was awesome and that I enjoyed watching it? :rolleyes:

instead of picking someone apart everytime it gets you annoyed your only annoyed cause you see this evreyday

It doesn't annoy me at all, I just want his performance to be the best it can be, so I offered some constructive criticism. And I was not aware of the fact I saw this video everyday... I thought tonight was the first time. Weird...

but a laymen does not so what works on them may not work on you.

No, but as a magician, and having experience performing, I usually know what works and what doesn't. And saying, "Umm..." and "Check this out." every five seconds DOES not work.

Exactly...

Im about bored with the elitism among the crowd

So leave, and don't let the door hit ya' wear the Good Lord split ya'!

that I know they cant back there stuff up on a minutes notice.

And umm... how do we know you could back up your claims of "awesomeness"?

I would school most of these guys

I thought you were bored with elitism? How ironic... :rolleyes:

cause there all talk and book smart but they probably couldn't control a crowd of a hundred if their life depended on it.

And you could? Once again, you're being an elitist, which you said you hated, or were bored with, or whatever, and you have no proof to back it up. Let's see some credentials.

Sorry about my little rant there but maybe instead of trying to preach and to everyone over small chips we can just get back to enjoying the magic period...

Your "rant" made very little sense, but whatever floats your boat.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
For the record, I think Mr. Babin showed a lot of balls actually going out and performing for real people. Most "performances" that are posted are generally just the "magician" and his web cam.

Being a magician is all about the performance, when it comes down to it. Really, the only thing that bothered me was the patter, for reasons previously stated. It's fine if he uses gambling as a context, but some of the lines were copied word-for-word from Houcin's vid (also previously stated).

Basically, the hard part is over. The real work is done, and now it's time for the fun part, in which the trick is personalized.

Again, trés cool.

Indeed.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
For the record, I think Mr. Babin showed a lot of balls actually going out and performing for real people. Most "performances" that are posted are generally just the "magician" and his web cam.

Now that I can DEFINITELY agree on. I think it's awesome to actually have a video for real spectators. Good job on that aspect!

Umm... wow . You obviously didn't read my whole post. Here it is again:

I bolded the positive things, just to make it easier for you to comprehend. IMO, that was an overall pretty positive, and not elitist in any way, shape or form.

But, just in case you STILL don't get it, I'll break it down for you:

Was the effect well performed? For the most part, yes. It needed a little work, but I wouldn't say it was "awesome" or "great".

I wonder why? Maybe because THEY'RE PROS, and they know what they're doing? Maybe because they usually have good routines, and those can give you a good example of how to structure your routine? :rolleyes:

These are things that NEED to be corrected if you're going to perform magic to its fullest, and give 100%. They may be tiny things, but they can affect your performance. One word can mean the difference between kindly applause, and screaming, gasps, and people running away.

Did I NOT say it was awesome and that I enjoyed watching it? :rolleyes:

It doesn't annoy me at all, I just want his performance to be the best it can be, so I offered some constructive criticism. And I was not aware of the fact I saw this video everyday... I thought tonight was the first time. Weird...

No, but as a magician, and having experience performing, I usually know what works and what doesn't. And saying, "Umm..." and "Check this out." every five seconds DOES not work.

Exactly...

So leave, and don't let the door hit ya' wear the Good Lord split ya'!

And umm... how do we know you could back up your claims of "awesomeness"?

I thought you were bored with elitism? How ironic... :rolleyes:

And you could? Once again, you're being an elitist, which you said you hated, or were bored with, or whatever, and you have no proof to back it up. Let's see some credentials.

Your "rant" made very little sense, but whatever floats your boat.

*sigh*

Alright your allowed your opinion as well as mine. First, I didnt want it sounding like I was just zeroing you out I was just general speaking here. If you look at my previous post I dont have a history of venting and I usually dont but this has become an issue here latley and now its fustrating me. Im not an elitist but I have been performing for well over ten years now and I am the exclusive entertainer for the Texas Rangers and several political authorities so theres my proof wheres yours I put my money where my mouth is. Second, yes you did compliment on his perfomance but at the same time you smeared your compliments with the response " every three words" as if it was a fautrating thing for you and thats what I was speaking of. Granted on the net we can mistake peoples reactions wrongly since words are not exactly channelled through emotion with visuals but I just want to get back to more support without the uhh how do you say it cynicism. Once again I may have taken it wrongly if thats the case I apoligize but that on that note. Third it would a little bit more than your whatevers to make me leave Ive been here since day one thats something youll have to deal with.

Keep rolling your eyes,...its doesnt change a thing.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Alright your allowed your opinion as well as mine.

I know.

First, I didnt want it sounding like I was just zeroing you out I was just general speaking here.

So then you quoted my post, and not the ones bashing him for non-original patter, because...?

If you look at my previous post I dont have a history of venting and I usually dont but this has become an issue here latley and now its fustrating me.

Elitism is something that's going to happen; you have to deal with it. But you're not helping by insisting that we be positive and stop the elitism, when you bash everyone on the forums, how you could "school us", and how we couldn't control a crowd of 100 if our lives depended on it.

Doesn't make much sense to me... how 'bout you?

Im not an elitist but I have been performing for well over ten years now and I am the exclusive entertainer for the Texas Rangers and several political authorities so theres my proof wheres yours I put my money where my mouth is.

That's great. And yes, you were being an elitist, whether you like it or not. I didn't say anything stupid like, "I could school all of you," or "None of you guys could control a crowd of 100 if your lives depended on you?", so I don't have anything I need to back up.

And guess what? If I specialize in Close-Up Magic, like walk-around or something like that... I don't need to control a crowd of 100! So your "challenge is useless".

Second, yes you did compliment on his perfomance but at the same time you smeared your compliments with the response " every three words" as if it was a fautrating thing for you and thats what I was speaking of.

Maybe it's because I'm a perfectionist, or something else, but I notice those kind of things, and they annoy me. I just suggested he work on them, that's all. I didn't say anything hurtful, mean, anything like that.

Once again I may have taken it wrongly if thats the case I apoligize

Apology accepted.

Third it would a little bit more than your whatevers to make me leave Ive been here since day one thats something youll have to deal with.

I'm just saying, elitism is something YOU will have to deal with if you browse these forums. I try my best not to be an elitist, arrogant, rude, any of those things. Sometimes I am, though... I realize my mistakes. But some people are just that way. It's like trying to stop exposure; it won't happen.

Keep rolling your eyes,...its doesnt change a thing.

No, it doesn't, but it conveys my emotions rather well. :D

I know.

So then you quoted my post, and not the ones bashing him for non-original patter, because...?

Elitism is something that's going to happen; you have to deal with it. But you're not helping by insisting that we be positive and stop the elitism, when you bash everyone on the forums, how you could "school us", and how we couldn't control a crowd of 100 if our lives depended on it.

Doesn't make much sense to me... how 'bout you?

That's great. And yes, you were being an elitist, whether you like it or not. I didn't say anything stupid like, "I could school all of you," or "None of you guys could control a crowd of 100 if your lives depended on you?", so I don't have anything I need to back up.

And guess what? If I specialize in Close-Up Magic, like walk-around or something like that... I don't need to control a crowd of 100! So your "challenge is useless".

Maybe it's because I'm a perfectionist, or something else, but I notice those kind of things, and they annoy me. I just suggested he work on them, that's all. I didn't say anything hurtful, mean, anything like that.

Apology accepted.

I'm just saying, elitism is something YOU will have to deal with if you browse these forums. I try my best not to be an elitist, arrogant, rude, any of those things. Sometimes I am, though... I realize my mistakes. But some people are just that way. It's like trying to stop exposure; it won't happen.

No, it doesn't, but it conveys my emotions rather well. :D

I give you that. Saying Ill school someone doesnt really convey my point and it was my fustration getting a hold of me and it did come off as a litlle elitism now that I re-read it so Ill edit my post. I really try to strive in perfection as well and where not that much different really when push comes to shove I just mistook your post and I apoligized for it earlier so that being said I want to reinerate on the patter post and that is a prime example of what Im speaking of Adjones. If you want to speak about this some more PM me and Ill be more than happy to discuss it with you privately.

Shane

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I just came off a sixteen and a half hour work day I can careless about my spelling right now,..I said Im a perfectionist in my magic not my spelling. Try and re-read the thread before being so presumptious next time you see where that got me.:)

OK, I'm not really trying to correct you here... well, I am, but I hope you don't take it in the wrong way.

I believe you meant to say, "I couldn't care less about my spelling right now." Saying you can care less implies that you do in fact care... even if just a little bit. Please don't blow up... my friend told me to "f*ck off" after I corrected him with that one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results