Saturday Night Contest - Collective Brainstorm : Round One

d+M

theory11 artist
Today is Saturday and it's time for this week's Saturday Night Contest. This week, I'm the host. And I'm posting this early so you have plenty of time to participate. This one's not easy, but it's not too hard. And here's how it's gunna go down...

A few weeks ago, the Saturday Night Contest was to create the best original flourish on video by 11pm EST. This week, we're turning the tables. The original idea for this came from Chris Kenner several months ago - and we'll be doing many more of these soon.

The challenge this week is to film the best magic effect using one of, any of, or all of, the following four random objects: a pen, a candle (not gimmicked), a piece of paper (any size - and yes you can crumble it), and an empty card box. No playing cards allowed. You can use one of those objects, two of those objects, three of those objects, or all of them - it's your choice.

Just to review: one pen, one candle, one piece of paper, one empty card box. If you choose to use the candle, it can be lit - but this must be done before the camera starts recording, and no matches nor lighters can be utilized in the effect in any way. Major points for originality, but the effect does not need to be completely original - we're just looking for creativity. The possibilities are endless. If you're using the candle, all effects must be safe and should be done under adult supervision if you're under 18. Cuz fire is Dangerous, yo.

You can utilize other objects if necessarily, but they should not play a primary visible role in the effect. We're not going to be super strict on what you use as long as the four primary visible tools are those four objects. How you make the magic happen is in your hands.

We're judging on creativity and overall presentation. All submissions must be created in video form (upload to Vimeo, Eatlime, or YouTube), with links posted in your response to this thread on or before 11:00pm EST tonight. Winners to be announced on or before midnight EST. You have 6 hours from right now to make it happen. What's up for grabs? One signed deck of brown Wynn's, shipped on the house.

We're all looking forward to your submissions. Cheerio chaps...

Nov 17, 2007
Pretty neat. I don't know if I'll be participating in this one. Since, I'm ALL about cards and NOTHING else. But I don't know. I'll try my best. Quick question, can ONLY those objects be used? Like we can't use ANYTHING else?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Just to clarify - you can utilize other objects if necessarily, but they should not play a primary visible role in the effect. We're not going to be super strict on what you use as long as the four primary visible tools are those four objects. How you make the magic happen is in your hands.

May 8, 2008
England
Damn, I've got a good idea but I haven't got the stuff I need and I can't get hold of it :(

Still, sweet contest idea :)

-S

D

Deleted member 2755

I have an amazing idea. Will it work? That remains to be seen.

-Doug

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
This sounds preeeeety hard. And, also, does a sticky note count as a peice of paper?

Yep. Any type of paper - any size will do. We're not too strict on the materials as long as the primary elements shown and utilized are the four listed. Possibilities really are endless.

Just to get the creative juices flowing - it could be as simple as a burned and restored paper effect (using the paper crumbled, pen to sign it, and candle to burn it). Feel free to use that plot and make it your own. Whatever you want. The more outside the box, the better. Creativity counts.

Jan 27, 2008
I won't be participating because I only do cards... and prophet. This should generate some interesting video's though...

I want to see what Ineski comes up with.

Questions - Can we use gimmicked items? I know we can't used gimmicked paper, but can we use, for example, a gimmicked pen?

Also, should this routine be comedy? Or should this be serious?

Lastly, can this routine be/include a flourish or two?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 2755

Questions - Can we use gimmicked items? I know we can't used gimmicked paper, but can we use, for example, a gimmicked pen?

Thanks!

DM and Bayme said that other props can be used as long as they are not visible. So if you want to use a gimmicked pen, go ahead. As long as the pen itself is not visibly gimmicked by the spectator, it's fair game. ;)

-Doug

Nov 23, 2007
NC
sky_lark

He said you cant use a gimicked candle.

I think its up to you. They just want it to be creative.

He said no playing cards.

I have got to get a new camera I would love to be in this one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results