Magic as a Job

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
I would love to know, how many people here do magic as a job and nothing else.
also if its hard, and how many times you have to work to achieve a good life only doing magic, do any T11 artist or big name magicians have a job besides magic?
If so what is it?

thanks for any replies =]

Sep 1, 2007
Chile
Very interesting Thread, I have been working for a year and a half (im studying to) And you can make good money even if you are not so Known. But becouse i have been for so short amount of time, the money I recieve is very variable, Some Month I win like 800 Dollars, and some Month I win like 300, it dependes. Hope people with more experience share your knowladge. Thanks

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Well unless you invent some fabulous new concept or you get paid A LOT for performances, then probably it'll be hard to do magic as a living. As there are much more jobs that pay quite a lot more ($4,000 to $10,000 a month). But you could do magic performances as a part time job, which would be a lot better compared to working at mcdonalds

Mar 29, 2008
I did magic for 8 years full time and used it to pay my way through College and University, I continue to do it 3 years later on the side...and it has helped me build my career...as both jobs I have connected with the companies, because of magic.

Presently, I am a Finacial Advisor, but I do magic at two restaurants three night a week, and private parties anywhere from 2 - 4 times a month. However, when I was in school - I worked 4 nights a week and did private parties weekly...you can make a decent living - maybe not 6 figures, but good money and great benefits.

I worked magic hardcore for 2 years, but I worked a part time job to help with insurance benefits. Still, in that time, my main income was from my magic business.

Before I stopped, I almost died in a motocross crash. I walked away, but I reassessed my priorities and realized that I want a family someday and I want to settle down somewhere close to where I live now. I also had planned on going to grad school and had put that off for a long time. I decided to scale the magic business back and go back to school.

I couldn't see myself being out till 2, 3, or 4 AM when my wife's home with a baby. I couldn't see myself trying to make a marriage work over a phone in a hotel room somewhere. I chose to pursue the life I want to make rather than try to fit that life into the mold of a professional magician.

I actually enjoy working magic and I still do several shows monthly, but I do it because I love it, not because I need to take the gig to pay the electric bill that month.

Just keep in mind that before you make the leap, you should be honest with yourself about what kind of life you hope to have when you're 30, 40, or 50.

Hope this helps someone!

Pj

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results