Thoughts on Zarrow: A Lifetime of Magic by David Ben

Sep 1, 2007
I got this for Hanukkah this year so I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

This is the book detailing the definitive work of the late Herb Zarrow. Actually, yhis is not a book--this is a tome. It is gigantic. "A Lifetime of Magic" consists primarily of card tricks, though there are a few other pieces that involve other apparatus. The book is beautiful--black, printed on glossy paper with black and white photographs. In between the chapters are pieces written about Zarrow by his magician friends and his family, all very interesting to read.

This book, in large part, sets the record straight about lots of techniques that Zarrow created or worked on, finally crediting him for his work. The tricks and routines cover the gamut, from simple card locations to routines using a fully stacked deck.

The highlight, for me at least, was the final chapter, which details the sleight Zarrow in best known for--his full deck retention false shuffle. This chapter devotes over 60 pages to the move and its numerous applications. It includes all the subtleties and details that make this perhaps the single greatest card move of the 20th century. It alone is worth the price of the book. You are not well versed in card magic until you've read this. Maybe you've learned the move from somewhere else, but not like this.

There are some self-working tricks that are really cool, and some great work on gambling. It would be easy enough to say that there's something in here for everybody and their mother. David Ben's descriptions are flawless, easy to follow and incredibly detail oriented.

This tribute to Zarrow is an essential addition to any magician's library. I honestly cannot speak enough good about this book.

True Astonishments can wait. Get this first.

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden

Even though i've not nearly read as much as i should to state an opinion on this great tome, i must agree with you. This is a great book, and a great tribute to Herb Zarrow. Most of the materiel so far that i've learned are materiel i actually can see myself perform in front of others, and i can't wait till i reach the last chapter.

This book might seem a bit pricey at first, but im more than certain that it will be worth it in the long run.

Sep 1, 2007
Even though i've not nearly read as much as i should to state an opinion on this great tome, i must agree with you. This is a great book, and a great tribute to Herb Zarrow. Most of the materiel so far that i've learned are materiel i actually can see myself perform in front of others, and i can't wait till i reach the last chapter.

This book might seem a bit pricey at first, but im more than certain that it will be worth it in the long run.

Dude, the double cover zarrow is ridiculous.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results