Flourishes versus deck life

Jul 15, 2009
FLOURISHES vs DECK LIFE

Hello fellow magicians,

I'm gonna share my experiences about flourishing and it can really be helpful if you could give me some tips on my problem.

I recently got hooked into flourishes.I like the sweet eye candy.Regardless it not being magic, it seems really cool. So as soon as I got my instructional videos on flourishes I bought myself a brand new deck of cards, just for the intention of practicing.

The frustrating part is that, flourishes are supposed to be practiced 8-12 hours a day.I don't have any problem with that dedication, its that my brand new deck is the one giving in. Man, it was just five days and the deck seems uncool anymore.I can't even fan it anymore.I can still use the deck for flourishless magic effects, but when I want to practice flourishes, man the cards just seems to wear and tear (metaphorically).

Bottom line is that, I didn't yet master the flourish, I need to buy a new deck. can you give me tips on specifically taking care of a deck while practicing flourishes?To prevent overspending on decks before I could actually master a flourish?

Ways on how to lengthen the lives of a deck while practicing flourishes?
Possible equipment that I may need?
Or home materials that I can use?

I hope you guys will comment and give some tips
I would really appreciate it.

Note:I'm currently using an official blue-backed bicycle cards (very common and familiar)

:confused:

Jul 14, 2008
I strongly advise you to get the Porper Card Clip or switch with the different deck and as a result, it will lengthen the life span of your deck. I wish you all well on your cardistry.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Old decks are great to use when practicing, (especially moves that are otherwise difficult to do with a brand new one) so don't throw them away.

We don't want ALL our decks to become "practice tools", so I suggest you use the cycle method. If you have more than 1 deck at your disposal, you may want to use a different deck for each day, that way the cards can a have a breather for a few days and for the most part, go back to a healthier condition. (The more decks the merrier)

In addition, you can store some of your decks in the freezer after use... oddly enough, this has a tremendously positive effect on them. You'd be surprised. :D

Lastly, deck clips. :)

Hope this helped,

-Andrei Jikh

Old decks are great to use when practicing, (especially moves that are otherwise difficult to do with a brand new one) so don't throw them away.

We don't want ALL our decks to become "practice tools", so I suggest you use the cycle method. If you have more than 1 deck at your disposal, you may want to use a different deck for each day, that way the cards can a have a breather for a few days and for the most part, go back to a healthier condition. (The more decks the merrier)

In addition, you can store some of your decks in the freezer after use... oddly enough, this has a tremendously positive effect on them. You'd be surprised. :D

Lastly, deck clips. :)

Hope this helped,

-Andrei Jikh

The freezer thing is awesome but it sometimes freezes liquid on the cards and as they defrost they warp.

Deck clips are another story i have a porper clip and i see no difference. The box is in better condition but the deck itself is still as bad as it would be.
They are good for a few minutes but then they go back to the same condition.

Mikk

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Definitely, don't keep the cards in the freezer for too long. You MAY want to stay away from it if your hands are sweaty; you wouldn't want the moist cards to warp.

Deck clips mainly help when traveling, the last thing you want to do is put a deck without a card clip inside your pocket. It warps the cards due to the heat caused by your body, a deck clip can most certainly prevent that.

-Andrei Jikh

Sep 1, 2007
Deck clips can also save the box from becoming raped by your convicted felon of a pocket.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
another idea is if you have the money look into a card press, if you dont, use your 3 volumes of Art of Astonishmet and put the cards under them. it works too.

I would completely destroy a deck for an audience if it meant great reaction from the crowd. You should do the same.

Completely destroying a deck in a practice session is a small price to pay for the competence and execution you get from it.

Economize, buy smart, buy bulk.

Costco will sell you a pack of 12 decks for $12. Again, it's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Also a dash of fanning powder on the deck helps keep the deck in a nice condition if your not an avid user of full powderings.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results