Deck Switches

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Hey all,

So, I've been researching deck switches, including previous posts on this forum, and have found a couple of interesting ones. Shawn Farquhar's switch is pretty nice, but requires a jacket which I generally don't wear. I've looked at a deck shell online, but haven't been able to find a single demo video of a deck switch to see how smooth and open it is, and I'm not the kinda guy who wants to spend money based on someone telling me it's great.

Anyone have any suggestions on good resources for deck switch ideas? I'm specifically looking to do a routine involving two preset decks which I'd like to have the audience shuffle before the switch and the trick. Neither are gaffed, and after the first trick I can use them for the rest of the routine as normal decks.

The only thing I can't really do is put away a deck and then "oh, just one more trick" and bring it back out. Considering the length of the routine, that would seem quite false.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Depends really on your situation.
Sit down or stand up? Table or no?
If you have a table, then the deck shell is amazing. You wont find a demo video of it as it requires misdirection. but everything does as well. If you cant pull off the deck shell then youre quite bad... any hoo...
There are a lot of sleight of hands ones where you lap it while switching it out and everything.
I usually go for... the misdirection + grab something out of my pocket with the deck in my hand. works fine for me. You really dont need something special. as long as your audience management is good you can reach into your pocket and come back out with another deck and no one will be any the wiser.

Aug 20, 2008
Las Vegas
Derren Browns got a great one on his lecture dvd. Although he doesn't teach it. Tommy Wonder has a very simple one. IMHO, and from allot of experience, the easiest best way is to have someone select a card, turn your back while they show it to everyone and just switch it in your pocket.

Or, do a couple things with the shuffled deck, put the cards away and say lets try another one and take the other one out. Their is no reason for anyone to think its not the same deck.

But, we are magicians and it is fun to have a deck switch that gives you a hard on. Ive spent allot of time on this and even modified a pair of pants and involved a deck dropper under my shirt for a seamless switch. Garret Thomas also has some killer unpublished switches. Doc, the hustler from NYC, has a beautiful one using money in his hand as cover... it almost looked like a color change when he did it for me. Their are allot out there that are fun, but performing in the real world and not having to worry about angles or technique I would recommend the easy way out.

bSmith

pS if your at a table, check out Tamariz recommendations in mnemonica.. or the switch in blizzard

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
IMHO, and from allot of experience, the easiest best way is to have someone select a card, turn your back while they show it to everyone and just switch it in your pocket.

Maybe the best suggestion I've heard yet, simple as it is! I will research the others as well, so thank you!

If I might add another element to the discussion, I'd love to get your feedback on the routine I'm developing. I'm not really at the stage yet of developing my own unique effects (other than simple ones - find your card, etc.), but here's my plan for a "strange coincidences" routine:

• Blind by Daniel Madison
  • Total Coincidence by Juan Tamariz (from Sonata)
  • Sympathy (for the Devil) by Paul Vigil
  • Bring one of the decks to Mnemonica order using one of Juan's devious methods
  • Some of the excellent tricks with that stack (Three Hours, ACAAN)
  • Bring back to NDO for the finale
So deck switches seem easiest for these, but if you're familiar with the effects, they all use ungaffed cards. Maybe there's a better solution?

Thanks again for any input you can provide. I'm not a professional, but my friends, family, coworkers, and anyone else I can rope in at the cafe will appreciate all this polish!

I do expect to have a table available, since several of the above tricks involve dealing cards out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results