Bottom Dealing From Straddle Grip

Nov 20, 2009
So earlier today I'm working on my bottom deal (which is TERRIBLE btw), and after gathering up the cards after dealing a round of 5, I do a charlier, and attempt to deal again... however due to a mental lapse, my fingers didn't snap into bottom dealing grip, and instead remained in straddle grip... I then instantly had an imperceptible (to laymen anyways) strike bottom deal.

I showed it to my roommate, who is used to my magical musings, and did a simple trick where I cop in a royal flush after he shuffles the back, then bottom dealed it in this fashion to him, and called him a cheater, stacking the cards like that for himself.

I'm just wondering if any of you have tried this approach... and if you haven't, give it a shot and let me know how it works out.

I like the idea of your routine. I would prefer getting yourself a royal flush when playing poker with friends. It is fun to see their reaction. My bottom deal sucks too, I tried to loosen my grip a little bit and it seems to work for me.

Sep 1, 2007
I learned to do it from straddle grip, however I can't remember the source from where I learned it.

It's a great way to do it, it's not "technically sound" but it gets the job done.

~Beans

Jun 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was just discussing this a few topics down about noise and bottom dealing. This is an idea from Vernon. The Prof. credits Dr. Elliott and it can be found in Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic, pg. 107. You can buy the pdfs from lybrary for pretty cheap if you don't want to shell out for the books, but you'll want Vernon sooner or later if your a card worker.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
So earlier today I'm working on my bottom deal (which is TERRIBLE btw), and after gathering up the cards after dealing a round of 5, I do a charlier, and attempt to deal again... however due to a mental lapse, my fingers didn't snap into bottom dealing grip, and instead remained in straddle grip... I then instantly had an imperceptible (to laymen anyways) strike bottom deal.

I showed it to my roommate, who is used to my magical musings, and did a simple trick where I cop in a royal flush after he shuffles the back, then bottom dealed it in this fashion to him, and called him a cheater, stacking the cards like that for himself.

I'm just wondering if any of you have tried this approach... and if you haven't, give it a shot and let me know how it works out.

The straddle grip bottom deal is also called the Dr. Elliot Bottom deal (Vernon describes it briefly in Ultimate secrets of card magic). I'm a bit surprised that your deal is imperceptible, because many people have problems with this grip.

I'm guessing you have larger than average hands because otherwise, the straddle grip can be very difficult to maintain. It is also a somewhat unnatural grip and the cards often make a noticeable sound when you take it from the bottom.

I guess it's great if the deal works for you. I have been reading up about various bottom deals and I have a long way to go. Right now, I can't bottom deal to save my life.

Sep 2, 2007
London
The bottom deal from straddle grip isn't necessarily Dr Elliott's. Walter Scott also had a straddle-grip deal described in The Phantom of the Card Table. The difference between the two is that in Dr Elliott's method, the top card is pushed over by the left thumb and the take is with an inward twisting movement. In Scott's technique, the left thumb does not move, and the take is in an outward, diagonal motion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results