What exactly makes someone a magician?

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
WOW, so yeah its been a LONG time since ive been on forums..been really busy. Sorry if this is already a topic..like I said its been a long time since Ive acctually been on forums and read things and I didn't see it when I used the search. But while talking to my friend Jenni, another female magician I know, she brought up something that sparked my curiosity. She asked me what exactly makes someone a magician. I think that might be an oppinion question. Everyone has their own preception of what they think a magician is. To some people its a guy with a top hat pulling a rabbit out, to others it might be cutting a lady in half. To some flying or doing things they can not that they wish they could do.

To me a magician is so much more than someone who does or is skilled at tricks. A magician is someone who is good at life, someone who can motivate and inspire someone, someone who can amaze and brighten someones days. A magician is wise. Someone who can connect with their audience on a personal level tht others cant reach. Also a magician is someone who is worldly..who knows whats up and understands people and issues in the world today. Someone who people love and want to talk to. To me theres so much more to magic and being a magician than just the tricks you can do or the skill you have. Its amazing the things you learn and see being a magician..the realizations tht others dont always notice. Thats what a magician is to me.

What makes someone a magician to you?

-Nikki

Mar 29, 2008
Haha, I LOVE your defintion. I pride myself on being all that you say, and more.

This commercial, although downplays me a bit, should give you an idea of my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwG1t-NVAA

I think you nailed it Nikki, you just left my name out.

Seriously though, I do pride myself on being called a renaissance man, and it boils down to this - if you are an interesting person, that prides themselves on doing their craft well, then people will enjoy what you offer.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
If someone creates the illusion that the impossible is happening, they are a magician.

you don't need to have wisdom, knowledge of current affairs, or even be "good at life" to do so.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
If someone creates the illusion that the impossible is happening, they are a magician.

you don't need to have wisdom, knowledge of current affairs, or even be "good at life" to do so.

I didnt say you need to, but it certainly helps, in my oppinion. No, you dont need it, this is just MY oppinion of what a magician is to ME. The point of this thread was not me telling you what you need to be a magician, Its about what makes a magician to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A "Magician" is anyone that can execute a sequence of moves to accomplish a trick or illusion. An "Entertainer" is something much more. An Entertainer reaches their audience, connects with them, imparts their humanity, invokes emotions, and leaves a lasting impression.

So which are you?

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Will- I agree with the statment I just think you should switch the two words around. put magician where entertainer is and entertainer where magician is and i think uve hit the nail on it.

When your watching t.v. or a show..they create an illusion for you. a false preception of reality. Something staged. think whats an illusion? something that looks like its there when its really not what we're seeing. Entertainment. Even a dog could be entertaining. However, theres not really a transference of knowledge or power with that dog entertaining you it wont make u think differently about life.

a Magician is someone whos much more. who reaches their audience on an emtional level that trancends the understanding of what it means to be human in this world

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That's a very lofty statement. I've seen some amazing magicians and I've never had my life 'changed' by one.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Exactly, but i think that a truly great magician has the power to influence someone to change their life. [The point of this thread is what a magician is to you, remember]

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Me? The girl I was dating spent a semester in Mexico City. I got bored and learned two card tricks to show her when she got home. OCD kicked in, I got really obsessed with those tricks. After I performed them for the girl, the fun of the reaction made me realize that I liked being in the spotlight. It's a logical progression from there.

To me, a magician is someone that seems to be able to do impossible things. No more, no less.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The first two were from YouTube. Couldn't tell you who the 'performers' were. They were not very good, but I just wanted to learn a couple tricks.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
wow ok so i guess you really havent been impacted by it. Magic is different for everyone..how we got started and who we have been exposed to. If you see the right magician it can leave a huge impact on you and change your way of thinking, inspire you, and for some it gets them to start magic. Or view things differently. So you just need to be exposed to the right magician. then again those card tricks changed your life, thats why your here posting about this

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Perhaps I'm too cynical. I've seen performances by magicians, actors and musicians that have moved me, but nothing has 'changed my life.' I'm not positive that magic could change my life. I always know there's a method behind it, even if I can't work it out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results