Card Control Help

Jul 27, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys i am new to the forums and I was just wondering what are some controls you use in an effect where you need the selection in the 2nd position, 3rd position, etc. And also where I could learn it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

May 10, 2010
Hey guys i am new to the forums and I was just wondering what are some controls you use in an effect where you need the selection in the 2nd position, 3rd position, etc. And also where I could learn it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

I believe the bluff pass is an extremely good sleight that controls your selection to these positions. I think Wayne Houchin teaches it in the 1on1 sections.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Three sleights that immediately come to mind are the Bluff Pass, Marlo Tilt, and Top Card Cover Pass.

The Bluff Pass is probably my favourite of the three. I would recommend Joshua Jay's excellent video teaching his handlings on his website Vanishing Inc. Aaron Fisher also has a well constructed Bluff Pass in his book The Paper Engine.

The Marlo Tilt is probably the most commonly known move - but funnily enough, I can't actually think of where it is taught, except to say it's (obviously) in some Marlo book, and in many places that teach versions of the ACR - 5X5 Japan from Richard Kaufman is one example, in what is I seem to recall the only ungimmicked effect in the book (might be wrong, been a while).

The Top Card Cover Pass is the hardest of these sleights... I remember topics about where to learn this popping up - but I don't remember the answers. If you do a forum search in the Card Magic forum, I'm sure you'll find something.

Hope this helps! :)

Mar 1, 2010
Hong Kong
I 100% agree with the above, bluff pass is the perfect sleight that control the card to 2nd or 3rd. Also, D&D's blind bluff can do the same thing.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Overhand shuffle controls can do this, depending on your situation will determine which sequence you'll need.

The bluff pass is, as stated, a great move for what you're attempting.

As is the Marlo Tilt.

I run the amount of cards I need on top of the card then jog shuffle. Or riffle shuffle adding one card to the top. I feel these have an advantage in that the spectator is subtly shown that the top card doesn't stay on top, therefore reinforcing the fact your not controlling it....

Rev

Aug 2, 2010
UK
www.youtube.com
The Bluff Pass is brilliant, as everyone has said.

Another one I use is by Dan & Dave in their "Tivo Transpo" trick. I'm not sure what it's called but it's a variation of something.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
I don't know if someone already said it 'cause I can't remember the name of the control but tony chang has a trick called DVR and he shows a very cool way to control the card to the second place.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results