DRESSCODE ideas

Sep 6, 2010
Hey! I was wondering how you guys perform DRESSCODE? Like do you guys have any creative presentations? I am curious about your presentations. Thanks!

- Ben

Jun 10, 2010
Hey! I was wondering how you guys perform DRESSCODE? Like do you guys have any creative presentations? I am curious about your presentations. Thanks!

- Ben

I don't do it. Why? Because Smoke, Dresscode, and every little trick/gimmick like them out on the market are overused, and very few people use them the way they were intended.

Please, guys - stop trying to make everything happen with Smoke coming out your mouth while your shirt changes. It's not cool, it just makes you look like a showoff. A boring one, at that.

I don't do it. Why? Because Smoke, Dresscode, and every little trick/gimmick like them out on the market are overused, and very few people use them the way they were intended.

Please, guys - stop trying to make everything happen with Smoke coming out your mouth while your shirt changes. It's not cool, it just makes you look like a showoff. A boring one, at that.

Then don't bother commenting on the post, it doesnt answer BenTCM's question does it? An opinion such as your own isnt really valued at Theory11.

Jun 10, 2010
Then don't bother commenting on the post, it doesnt answer BenTCM's question does it? An opinion such as your own isnt really valued at Theory11.

No, it doesn't - rather, it contradicts the notion behind him asking the question. While this issue could've easily be addressed in another thread, it is better off being addressed on this one. But if you think spectators are going to think it cool if you change your shirt or blow smoke that seemingly appears in your mouth, then your logic is clearly better than mine and makes magic better 100% of the time. But don't listen to me, my opinion "isn't really valued at Theory11."

So I'll just shut my mouth and go back to puffing smoke and changing my shirt every time I do magic.

Dec 11, 2010
California
The double lift is overused as well as the break. I dont think that you should do dresscode or smoke everytime you show a magic trick, but if it fits your style and your routine then go for it. I see no harm in it.

Sep 6, 2010
Guys I was just looking for some unique presentational ideas, not for everyone ranting on why I should not perform DRESSCODE.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I usually use it as a closer...
I have a card folded and attached with a safety pin to the back of my jacket. I force that card and say:
"Look, on top of this green shirt there is a jacket. On the back of the jacket (I turn around and do the move) there's a card... (Turn around again so the audience can see the changed shirt) If I take the jacket that's on top of this red shirt, you can see that the card 100% matches...
Everything can be examined!!

Jun 10, 2010
Guys I was just looking for some unique presentational ideas, not for everyone ranting on why I should not perform DRESSCODE.

If you're looking for "unique presentational ideas", analyze your performing style. It doesn't help if the style of how you present it is completely different from the rest of your magic.

Jul 18, 2010
Dresscode work really good on a stage routine as an opener. When i had a normal t-shirt on me and i told them that evry one here have like very formal clothes one them so i did dresscode and and change my t-shirt to something more formal and it was an amazing reaction. Try it as an opener if you do tricks for an big audience or for a little party.

Sep 1, 2010
the stuff he mentions at the end are good ideas, just use them really. and i think everyone else uses it too

Sep 6, 2010
i was thinking of doing it where they name a color and it changes into that color. or the card thing calen mentions but where they fall down, yet they are printed ont he bottom, not when the fall in real life.

Jan 21, 2010
No, it doesn't - rather, it contradicts the notion behind him asking the question. While this issue could've easily be addressed in another thread, it is better off being addressed on this one. But if you think spectators are going to think it cool if you change your shirt or blow smoke that seemingly appears in your mouth, then your logic is clearly better than mine and makes magic better 100% of the time. But don't listen to me, my opinion "isn't really valued at Theory11."

So I'll just shut my mouth and go back to puffing smoke and changing my shirt every time I do magic.

Wow. You really are closed minded, aren't you? First of all, I would think that from a spectator's point of view changing into a different shirt in less than 5 seconds would take a bit more skill/magic than getting their card to come to the top once. Second, all magic is about presentation. Have you ever tried this effect? no. If you had, you would know that it gets great reactions (hint: not everybody just changes one random shirt into another random shirt). Just because people come out with new gimmicks doesn't inherently the effect worse. I guess the invisible deck is just a horrible overused gimmick that magicians use to try to make themselves look like boring showoffs, huh?

Now to the real question. I am hesitant to reveal my presentation because to make it good you should really make it your own. Just something to consider though: This at it's core is a changing mechanism. Anything that you think could change now can extremely visually and impossibly. Also, I will say that I usually use white shirts, so I can make my own interesting images.

Mar 15, 2011
I dont own dresscode, but since I am interested in quick change ideas, you could combine it with color changing suspenders, bowtie and cumberbund as a full close up routine that would probably fry a few brains

Jun 10, 2010
Wow. You really are closed minded, aren't you? First of all, I would think that from a spectator's point of view changing into a different shirt in less than 5 seconds would take a bit more skill/magic than getting their card to come to the top once. Second, all magic is about presentation. Have you ever tried this effect? no. If you had, you would know that it gets great reactions (hint: not everybody just changes one random shirt into another random shirt). Just because people come out with new gimmicks doesn't inherently the effect worse. I guess the invisible deck is just a horrible overused gimmick that magicians use to try to make themselves look like boring showoffs, huh?

Magicians don't try and do the invisible deck with every little routine they do. I don't see why smoking a sharpie and changing your shirt in public is any better.

Jan 21, 2010
Magicians don't try and do the invisible deck with every little routine they do. I don't see why smoking a sharpie and changing your shirt in public is any better.

My point is that they are both great gimmicks (invisible deck and Dresscode, I can't speak for smoke), and each have their place. I also think you shouldn't generalize the "type" of magician that performs dresscode

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN

My oh my...you sir are a piece of work. We do what we want to do when we feel the need to do it. So, if someone want's to perform Dresscode or Smoke then that is their business.

btw...your comments on this thread have nothing to do with the first post.

And as for Ideas for Dresscode...they are endless. Use your imagination. I bet you have some good ideas.

Jun 10, 2010
My oh my...you sir are a piece of work. We do what we want to do when we feel the need to do it. So, if someone want's to perform Dresscode or Smoke then that is their business.

btw...your comments on this thread have nothing to do with the first post.

And as for Ideas for Dresscode...they are endless. Use your imagination. I bet you have some good ideas.

I was under the impression online communities such as this one were to allow magicians to collaborate in order to succeed. Guess I was wrong... Not that I'm surprised, since I'm a piece of work.

The point of gimmicks such as Smoke and Dresscode are to use your imagination. But I surrender, here's some ideas:

If you like Angle Zero, have a custom shirt designed with the torn corner on it. Keep your jacket/shirt zipped up/buttoned. Open it up once you make the corner vanish, then do Dresscode and patter on, saying it's really appeared (insert place here).

To be honest, the best ideas with the thing come once you have a set routine down. Ideas for it don't help much if they're not in context, and since you haven't provided one, the point is a little lost.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I was under the impression online communities such as this one were to allow magicians to collaborate in order to succeed. Guess I was wrong... Not that I'm surprised, since I'm a piece of work.

The point of gimmicks such as Smoke and Dresscode are to use your imagination. But I surrender, here's some ideas:

If you like Angle Zero, have a custom shirt designed with the torn corner on it. Keep your jacket/shirt zipped up/buttoned. Open it up once you make the corner vanish, then do Dresscode and patter on, saying it's really appeared (insert place here).

To be honest, the best ideas with the thing come once you have a set routine down. Ideas for it don't help much if they're not in context, and since you haven't provided one, the point is a little lost.

Not here to throw stones so I'll just say this and drop it....

We are here to "help" each other not put down effects or the people who use them. If you didn't want to give some advice then you didn't need to comment at all. Help us make ourselves better. Don't belittle us or put us down for what we ask about. Like "Google" if I wanted to "Google" everything then I wouldn't need to come here and ask people who might have ideas to share. I come here to learn and may be help others if I can. Share a story or two if I have one.

BTW...you are the first person to respond to this thread and all you had to say was negative. A simple "I don't do this trick." would have been enough.

My apologies to Theory11 and to you JB if I have stepped over the line here. Just tired of all the negative stuff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results