Magic Books

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
I recently read Devious Standards by Jamy Ian Swiss, and it is one of the best books I have read in a while. It is all on magic theory, which is essential in magic. It can apply to any type of magic. There is a big section about the double lift that I enjoyed.

There is an excerpt of it in Genii July 2011. And another excerpt here: http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=64

I saw his show at the Magic Castle last year and his card magic was excellent. I definitely will add that to my list. Thank you.

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
You MUST get The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher. Incredible book.

Also, The Card Magic if LePaul is a classic. Stars of Magic is another one that you need to get. PM me if you want more info.

Both those are on my list already as I have heard great things about both. I already know the Le Paul Spread as well as the Spread Pass so I have a bit of a head start at least. Don't know much about the Stars of Magic though. Thanks for the info!

Dec 31, 2010
Both those are on my list already as I have heard great things about both. I already know the Le Paul Spread as well as the Spread Pass so I have a bit of a head start at least. Don't know much about the Stars of Magic though. Thanks for the info!

Stars of Magic is great, it has some gems like Dai Vernons classic Triumph routine and Triple Coincidence. But the magic is definetely old style magic, and there will probably be several routines you won't even perform. It is a great book and piece of history though.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Well cards are my bread and butter, but I want to branch out into coins and many other areas. However, I want a much greater sophistication and understanding of card magic which is why I emphasize that type of book. I do not currently do any gambling effects, but that is one area I want to become proficient at. Well I typically like performing effects with simple gimmicks such as a duplicate card, double back or double face card. I definitely am looking for effects that would include these types of gimmicks as I do not want to have my pockets bulging because of the gimmicks; I am open to other small gimmicks as well. The best way I can explain as to what books I am looking for is that I want to have the equialent of a PhD in my knowledge of card magic. If this includes having books that include types of effects I wouldn't perform, that's fine because I would like to be knowledgable of many important aspects of card magic. I tend to do very direct effects. I do walk around style mostly, but I want to work on formal close up shows as well as stage shows. I hope I have been clear enough, but please let me know if I'm too ambiguous!

In that case, my strong recommendation is Card College. The five volume set is an amazing resource. No other book or set of books covers as much material.

In the bargain section, in recommend the following:

Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique
Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
Scarne on Card Tricks
The Magic of LePaul
Menzler's Counts Cuts and Subtleties
Buckley's Card Control

In the more expensive catagory:

Aaron Fisher's Paper Engine
John Bannon's Dear Mr.Fantasy
John Gustaferro's One Degree

Specialty Books
Juan Tamariz - Mnemonica (Memorized Deck)
Kirk Charles - hidden in Plain Sight (Marked Deck)

Sets of Periodicals
Apocalypse
The Jinx
Ibidem

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Someone has probably already said it and I know it is on the main list but I just bought Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe and love it. It definitely takes the average magician who just stands and does tricks to the next level. It is $40.00 but well worth the price and it is hard cover.

Jul 13, 2010
I recently read Devious Standards by Jamy Ian Swiss, and it is one of the best books I have read in a while. It is all on magic theory, which is essential in magic. It can apply to any type of magic. There is a big section about the double lift that I enjoyed.

There is an excerpt of it in Genii July 2011. And another excerpt here: http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=64
I agree with you. This book is excellent and I like his deep thinking. Couldn`t take it down. Gets my 'magic book of the year' vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results