Royal Road to Card Magic Favorites

Nov 27, 2009
Back in 2009 or so I compiled a list of tricks from Royal Road to Card Magic that I perform on a regular basis. I've kept the list to myself, sharing it only in private messages, but I guess it would help more people if I put it out in public. The list hasn't changed a bit since I wrote it way back when. The only thing I would add would be that I now perform some of Paul Harris' material as well as a few of my own creations.

Here's the list, annotated with my thoughts on the tricks as they are written, and how I have modified them to fit my style.

I use more than a few of the effects in Royal Road to Card Magic. I'll try to list them in order of how much I perform them. I'll also give them a rating as to how easy or difficult they are.

Difficulty ratings-
*=easy (5 minutes and you've got it) ****= hard (see you in a month or two.)
These difficulty ratings assume that you know how to get a card to where you want it, either the top or the bottom. If you don't know any card controls yet add 1 star, and learn the first chapter before coming back to this list.

The Annotated List-
Now You See It ** (I generally use a Riffle Force or Backslip Force instead of the behind the back force described here, which is why I've listed this as a 2 star trick. Performed as described it's about a 3 star trick)
Design for Laughter *
Rapid Transit ** (If you've got the Double Lift this is easy! It's a great card transpo.)
These top three are my go-to tricks. I do these and a few others like the Biddle Trick and Ambitious Card all the time.

A Poker Puzzle *
A Tipsy Trick (taught by Chris Kenner under the name Sloppy Shuffle Triumph) ** (This is great because you get to make a mess.)
Poker Player's Picnic *
Pulse Trick *
Non-Poker Voice *
These last two are all presentation. Essentially once you know your spectators card you can do whatever you want.

Righting a Wrong **** (This can be re-worked to be much easier. As described it requires The Pass, but you could do it with any control. The basic plot is AWESOME.)

Card In The Pocket *** The palm may be the easiest part of this trick. The difficulty here is giving directions to your spectators so that they do what you want them to. I've had more than a few people misunderstand me and ruin the trick. Make sure you're EXTREMELY CLEAR when giving directions here. Or just use a different method.

Do as I Do * This is only down here because it requires 2 decks.

I used Gathering of the Clan (***) for a while, but I've stopped using it now because I don't like how it's structured. You may enjoy it though. It's a decent ace assembly.

Final Note-
Also learn at least one of the Double Lift Reversals (Chapter 11). I use "method b" all the time. These are great because some people know the old trick of flipping over the bottom card to make the card reverse in the deck, and with these reversals you can show that the bottom card of the deck is facing the right direction. (It's always fun to throw off a spectator who thinks they know what they're talking about.)

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the commentary! I'm a total noob and saw this thread. I'm working through RRTCM.

I know there's DVD's to buy that have the tricks laid out but does anyone know if someone has compiled a youtube playlist of the tricks in the book?

Thank you!
Eric

Aug 16, 2011
Thanks for the commentary! I'm a total noob and saw this thread. I'm working through RRTCM.

I know there's DVD's to buy that have the tricks laid out but does anyone know if someone has compiled a youtube playlist of the tricks in the book?

Thank you!
Eric

The only useful thing magic wise on youtube is performances by Magician's and Aaron Fisher's Card Magic Minute, the other 98% is garbage. If you want to learn to be a real magician then head this advice DO NOT LEARN MAGIC FROM YOUTUBE EVER EVER EVER!!! The DVD isn't necessary, but Paul Wilson has the best 5 DVD set that if you use in conjunction with the book and actually go through both together and take your time with each chapter and each sleight will help you improve tremendously. Besides the advice above the 2nd most important would be to take your time with the book and/or DVD's and do not rush through anything. Make sure you have a good enough handle on the material that was talked about previously before moving on.

If you have to take a few days to get a sleight down or a week, then do it. Your magic will be much stronger for it and you won't have to be looking at your hands the whole time and wondering why nobody is impressed with your "magic". Remember that magic just isn't about being able to do the moves, but also on the presentation and performance that go along with an effect. If you take a look at self-working effects performed by "youtube magicians" and then look at the same effect performed by a professional magician such as Michael Ammar or Bill Malone you will see the HUGE difference. Good luck man, you've picked a great community to join.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2, 2013
Thank you!

So sorry for not responding to your lengthy and thoughtful response! Thank you!

I'm really trying to limit myself to just RRTCM and getting down the very basics until they're solid, and then moving on. It's very easy though to start seeing all the other cool stuff out there....

I'm putting together an excel spreadsheet outlining the sleights to learn in order of RRTCM (not too much into the flourishes though) and then limiting myself to a few tricks (based on research on forums) that people in RRTCM think are really the best and most worthwhile to learn.

I also need to lay out my training time, since I have my plate full with family, work, volunteer work etc. So much to learn, so little time.

Thank you again for your help!!!!

Oct 23, 2014
I hope the mods don't mind me resurrecting this thread. I've been working out of RRTCM lately, and this is a really useful reference. A question for people more experienced than I:

Now You See It and Design For Laughter seem to be very popular among RR fans, and yet they make extensive use of the glide, a sleight which I personally feel is too "fishy" for most work. Does anyone else find that to be the case or is it all in my head?

Aug 6, 2017
I hope the mods don't mind me resurrecting this thread. I've been working out of RRTCM lately, and this is a really useful reference. A question for people more experienced than I:

Now You See It and Design For Laughter seem to be very popular among RR fans, and yet they make extensive use of the glide, a sleight which I personally feel is too "fishy" for most work. Does anyone else find that to be the case or is it all in my head?
The glide is definitely a good move. I don't find lay people being suspicious as I am doing the move. Just don't make it a big deal.

Feb 1, 2017
I think it looks less fair, but it still works. I think what is important is how fluid you make it look, how quickly it is done, and how confidently you perform it.

To me it looks less fair, but that doesn’t mean a layman will feel the same. But again...it is less fair than perhaps another method.

Reactions: Hgagnon

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

I use the glide from a biddle grip, I prefer it that way. If your second deal is any good I think that's the way to go with a Dunbury Delusion type trick like design for laughter.

Oct 23, 2014
I use the glide from a biddle grip, I prefer it that way. If your second deal is any good I think that's the way to go with a Dunbury Delusion type trick like design for laughter.

Using the Biddle grip is genius. That's my primary gripe with the glide is that you use a a grip and deal from the bottom of the deck that seems totally unnatural and unlike anything else you do. Using Biddle grip at least seems more natural and familiar. I'll give it a try!

I'm miles away from even thinking about a second deal haha. But yes, I could see how that would be optimal.

Jul 26, 2016
I imagine there are those who might feel differently, but I always thought the glide looked suspicious, and have been concerned that spectators would feel the same. And, if a move doesn't look or feel natural to me or I don't feel comfortable doing it, I believe that this will somehow be transmitted or telegraphed to the spectators, and will arouse suspicion. In Expert at the Card Table, Erdnase said, they should not even suspect, let alone detect. So although I have seen some very skilled card mechanics use it, I personally avoid the glide. I also try to avoid tricks that run the risk of making the spectators feel stupid or foolish, while showing how "clever" the magician is at their expense. To me, Design for Laughter falls in that category, especially saying something to a spectator like, "You obviously don't have much confidence in yourself," which I believe is part of the suggested patter/presentation for the trick.

if you want to do a 'sucker' trick that will genuinely make people laugh and not make them feel like a fool, I recommend the 3 and 1/2 of clubs (although it's not in the RRTCM) - highly entertaining and always gets a great reaction - especially when done in two (2) phases. Force two ("prediction") cards, the ten of diamonds and the seven of clubs, and have them placed face down on the table (or held by the spectators face down, if there is no table). For your first prediction you say that you have a card that is twice the value of the first selection; they turn over the 5 of diamonds, and then you turn over the 10. Nice. For the other selection (the seven of clubs), you say that you have a card that is half the value of that card. They will smile knowingly at one another, amused at the the apparent failure. When the seven of clubs is turned face up, I love this opportunity to act, look worried and confused, and fidget, but then to brighten up and flip over that 3 and 1/2 of clubs, looking very relieved. Laymen love this trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results